Dynamics not working !!!

Hey Fellow Dorcians :slight_smile:

I have a problem with the dynamics , I working on a sax arrangement but the dynamics are not working at all and whatever I put its just the same loudness , anyone know how to fix this ?

:smiley: thx

You mean you have a problem in the way Dorico plays back what you write ? Please try to be as precise as you can when asking for help, we cannot guess what the problems are, we fellow Doricians :wink:
I have read in several posts that some instruments in Halion had problems with different aspects of what they ā€œshouldā€ be doingā€¦ Be sure that Doricoā€™s team is working actively on that field too ! I could not really help you, because I do not care too much about the Play mode right now, knowing it is still a ā€œwork in progressā€. Search the forum for some advice about which MIDI parameter could change dynamics, I think there is something about controllers that change with the instrumentā€¦

If you havenā€™t already, give each part an initial dynamic. I think I read somewhere that if you do not start a part with a dynamic it can affect later changes.

ā€¦ and, thatā€™s how most music is written, with a dynamic at the beginning, ā€œwriteā€? :wink:

Unfortunately the saxophone sounds in HALion Sonic SE 2 require VST Note Expression to play back dynamics, and at the moment we donā€™t support the playback of Note Expression. This is a high priority for us to add, and although Iā€™m afraid it wonā€™t be in the forthcoming 1.0.30 update, we will add it as soon as we can.

ā€œYou mean you have a problem in the way Dorico plays back what you write ?ā€ you are quoting me , so if you write F its P and PPP still P :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply Daniel , I have noticed something , I am using GM samples and when I reset HALion and put the instruments in HALion ( same GM ) the Dynamics work . I have to say that I only tried setting 2 and it was fine but since it is a Saxophone orchestra there are 16 so I will add each instrument in HALion manually and post the results .

Cheers

If you read carefully your first post, you wrote that you had problems with dynamics. That could mean you have problems with the way the are placed, the shape they have, the way they look, a bug when you input themā€¦ This is why I think we must be as precise as possible, in order to get the best help possible :wink:

Look what I wrote " whatever I put its just the same loudness " so its not about placement its not about the shape its not about the way they look , just that whatever dynamic sign you put its the same level which Daniel clearly got my point and thats good , however I understand your point and I will try to write more detail to avoid confusion :wink:

Hey Again

@Daniel

So this is a short report of what happened ,

the music was imported from music xml format , and then saved as Dorico native also the auto selection of the Saxophones were the noisy pop soundy ones in HAlion , so I had to change to GM , by this time I noticed the dynamics are not working and started this post .The interesting result come from the fact that I did reset HAlion and did a fresh batch of GM sounds , then wualaa , It was working like a charm .

thought might be useful for you and the developer buds :slight_smile:

Cheers
Homayoon

The reason it is now working for you is that the GM sounds respond to velocity changes. The HALion sax sounds respond to VST Note Expression and that isnā€™t yet implemented.

Thanks for your tip , but If you read the above comments you will see that Daniel already mentioned this , and also read my last post again you will understand that it was automatically HAlion Sax sounds , but then I choose the GM sounds in HAlion , which at the beginning didnā€™t work and then I had to reset HAlion and select everything again , and it was working .

Cheers

Hi, Would that be the case for trombone as well. There are no dynamics being played by my Dorico trombonist either (like some of my students).

Ah, I have it sorted. It was in the HAlion settings in play. I had some dynamic wheel or something on rather than the default.
This forum really does helpā€¦