Dynamics / Velocity / CC

Hey,

I’m confused with these 3 buttons:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 14.05.15.png
When I change my expression map and I’m using ‘secondary dynamic’, I get completely different OVERALL dynamics, even at places, where no secondary dynamic is used.
When I’m using CC, I can’t use the ‘velocity’ property for single notes anymore…

‘secondary dynamic’ - I like the feature, but because it changes my overall dynamics, it’s not predictable and I can’t use it.
Then I use CC assignments which makes everything more time-intense.
And to be honest, the ‘velocity’ feature for single notes in the playback window doesn’t work accurate anymore, since you can change the dynamics with the ‘f’ button.

So:
what do I do if I just want to make single-notes or short passages louder or softer, without using new dynamic signs please?
Thanx

Can you attach a short example project that shows what you mean?

Hey Paul,
thanx for replying so fast - as usual.
What really makes all automation nearly un-usuable is the fact, that none of it is erased when you erase certain passages and none of it is copied when you copy-paste a passage. That leaves me with complete chaos and notes which all of a sudden play loud or soft or do whatever they want.
Maybe I do sth wrong but if not…

Concerning the attached file:

• why is the clarinet playing the E & Eb in bar 5 nearly double as loud as the rest?
  • ok, maybe it’s the PlugIn - you don’t pay for it, so you can’t expect super quality for all notes…BUT if i try to change the velocity nothing changes in the playback:
  • so the possibilities are: using another dynamic for these 2 notes and hide it
  • draw a CC (with secondary dynamic) which is not helping at all → see my reasons above…drawing CCs in DORICO can cause quite some problems

I don’t know how to solve it smoothly
Paul1.dorico.zip (1.11 MB)

The Clarinet Combi patch in HSO uses CC1 to control dynamic - it doesn’t use note velocity at all, so changing the velocity will have no effect. The loudness of the staccato notes happens just because the sounds in the HSO library are not very well balanced at that dynamic level. I don’t think the secondary dynamic is going to help here - that’s not what it’s used for (it’s intended for cases where you need to use note velocity and a CC to get a particular dynamic level, needed by some libraries). For the moment, I think drawing in some values for CC1 over the notes that seem too loud is the best approach.

For the copy and paste problem - I can see the difficulty, but I can’t think of how we can easily solve it. The notes and automation are quite separate, and when you select notes, it selects exactly what you see. If it also silently selected the automation too then that would cause other problems. We’ll think about how we can improve this in the future.

Thank you so much Paul.
That helps a lot - I was going crazy here and thought I’m doing everything wrong.
The difficulties I have with CC1 automation: once you start with it at a certain spot, it’s nearly impossible to stop with it, cause most of the time prepended and appended notes are effected and the resolution of the drawing tool is quite limited.
I always try to avoid CCs for volume, cause at the end I have more problems and loose much more time than with just leaving 2 notes louder.

I can understand the copy-paste problem and I guess there won’t be a solution for it. The only solution I can think about is to somehow integrate the automations like the hidden objects in write-mode - but if you activate to show all hidden objects, the screen will be quite busy…hmmmmm…or maybe just give hints as hidden objects that there is an automation at certain spots. So whenever you draw sth in play-mode you get like a letter ‘a’ or whatever as a hidden object…don’t know…just fooling around :slight_smile:

or something like the (useless?) time-line in Sibelius. An extra window for automations on which you can see an overview of what is automated where…

Another thing I don’t understand

where comes this curve from in the CC1? It seems to be a mix out of my dynamic-sign-curve and ???

I didn’t draw it, I can’t erase it.
BUT if I take my pencil, I can modify it…but with the eraser-tool: no chance to erase it…veeeeeery strange
BTW: there is not any other CC drawn…

You want me to send you the file?

I can take a look if you attach it here

I don’t think it’s a mystery, Peer, it’s showing you every nuance of the dynamics that are chosen, taking into account the written dynamics, any edits you make in the dynamics lane in Play mode, and micro-level humanisation produced by the settings in Playback Options.

Thanx Daniel - I’m 99% sure that you are right, but 1% in me tells me: there is a problem here :slight_smile:

Paul, could I send you the whole file in a PM - then you could see the whole mess? But please be very confidential with it - it’s a new compo I’m working on.
If you don’t have the time or you don’t want to, it’s no problem at all…

I think Daniel is likely to be right here: if there are extra notes out of view then that will explain those other minor variations.

I don’t think so, sorry. Humanisation is always set on 0% in my scores…so that can’t be the reason why there are automations which shouldn’t be there and which are written nowhere…

I can take a quick look if you send a link in a PM, but please also mention exactly which measures show the problem

I bet beat stress is still set at 0.30 first beat 0.20 other. When I set these also to zero, then the line becomes nice and smooth.

what exactly do you mean? where do i change that?

Also in the Playback Options as shown

cool…thanx a lot