Easy automation editing with range/trim tool.

From what I understand this has been requested for years, and for a hugely important and very significant reason. What’s needed in Nuendo is the ability to have a trim tool (even better, a mod key for a trim tool) to simply select a range of automation and move it up and down.

This isn’t whining, this is a professional who needs speed in my workflow, which is the exact reason why the other DAWs (in my experience, Pro Tools, Reaper, and Studio One) have this very simple and very necessary feature. So it’s not an esoteric request that only a few people want – it’s a basic building block of the DAW when it comes to automation editing.

Please implement it very soon…!

As far as I know, it’s available since several versions. Isn’t it?
Select a range and a modificator handle appears in the top middle of selection, then you can increase or decrease all valuis within selected range.

This only works if you have the node points already created (it only works on selected nodes), and you need to click four times on any given automation line to do that if you don’t. Plus the way the nodes are Nuendo it can often be hard to select exactly the ones you want when they’re super close to each other. In DAWs like PT/Reaper/Studio, you use a simple trim tool to move any range, nodes or not, and then it automatically creates nodes to raise that entire section up and down. It’s truly a gigantic time saver and workflow enhancer, and you can use it on any kind of automation. Once you’ve used it in a DAW like PT and you come to Cubendo, you realize what a simple yet massively useful function this is.

Here’s a video that shows it on Studio One (same in Pro Tools, Reaper, probably others): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJ73BVdqvQ&feature=youtu.be&t=24m37s Make sure you watch it until the end of what he’s talking about, and you can see how it should be implemented in Nuendo.

There are workarounds in Cubendo but they aren’t nearly as fast or efficient and require much more fumbling about. It baffles me why this still isn’t in Cubendo!

I have also been requesting this for years. It is one of the areas where PT is much better than Nuendo and wow would it be great to have. Automation editing would be much faster. It seems like it would not be that difficult to implement. I don’t know why we don’t have it yet.

Dean

+1

Like a smart tool this is one of the small but not sexy changes to Nuendo that would help us quite a bit when working. It’s a shame these things are overlooked all the time, year after year (especially with an upgrade as underwhelming as 8, in my opinion).

Do you guys mean something like this?

The main thing in the video above, is that Greg holds the shift key while dragging the Square Wave tool. This does work, but a problem crops up- the resultant line is not necessarily where you drew it. Play around with it a bit and you’ll see what I mean. I think the wave shape still affects the result sometimes.

The straight line tool would be perfect for this, if its direction can be constrained to the horizontal axis. Some mouse drivers include this option when holding a modifier key, (like my Kensington trackball).

Better would be that Prefs>Editing>Tool Modifiers had an option to constrain the direction of that tool. For both Cubase and Nuendo.

Of course this is not the same as the Pro Tools trim tool, but it does require one less move for the user: draw the line; rather than select the range, then draw the line.

It’s cute, but not what’s needed. It doesn’t replace the way PT, Reaper, and Studio One (and some other DAWs, from what I understand but haven’t tried myself) directly handle it so greatly. With Greg’s thing you can’t trim anything, you can only draw in a new line (and awkwardly even then).

Thanks Steinberg for N8.2. This a big time saver!

Dean