Echo Layla 3G and Layla 24/96 dual setup (Resolved)

Hi!

Very new to this. :confused:

I’ve used my Echo Layla 3G with Cubase without any major heartache. I recently had a chance to pick up a Layla 24/96 at a good price. I have connected both devices using an ADAT cable. I also have them connected with a BNC wordclock cable. If I right click the speaker icon on the taskbar, and select ‘Playback Devices,’ I can see the Layla 3g, designated as Analogue 1/2, 2/3…up to 7/8. I also see another Layla (no mention of 24/96), which looks very similar, except that it’s referred to as digital, not analogue.

Nothing too strange then. :slight_smile:

However, when I fire up Cubase (6.5), I don’t see the additional eight digital channels. Am I missing something really obvious here? Is the ADAT link adequate to connect the two devices so that I have sixteen available channels in Cubase or do I have to connect the 24/96 using the PCI card and breakout cable that came with the device? :confused:

Is that only a single input?

Do you see any digital inputs?

Try changing your “Digital Mode Switch” (in the interface’s console) to ADAT.
It may be that it’s set to S/PDif, which is stereo only.
That may get you those other channels in Cubase.

However, there’s other things to question/point out:

1. Can the Layla 24/96 even function as a standalone A/D converter? Some interfaces can, others can’t (the manual doesn’t say).
  2. You can’t use any sample rate above 50 KHz when using the Layla 24/96.

Is that only a single input?

Not sure what you mean here. If you’re referring to digital, then no it’s eight in and eight out, same as analogue.

I don’t see the additional eight digital channels.

Do you see any digital inputs?

Yes, as above. The thing is, I can see the additional ins and outs from the playback and recording devices in Windows. The problem arises when i fire up Cubase. I don’t see the extra device ins and outs in there at all. :unamused:

Try changing your “Digital Mode Switch” (in the interface’s console) to ADAT.
It may be that it’s set to S/PDif, which is stereo only.
That may get you those other channels in Cubase.

I have ADAT selected in the Layla monitor.

However, there’s other things to question/point out:

1. Can the Layla 24/96 even function as a standalone A/D converter? Some interfaces can, others can’t (the manual doesn’t say).

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I tried installing the 2nd PCI card in the same computer but the computer kept hanging. Tried it several times in different PCI slots with the same result. I’m thinking I might have to see if Echo tech support will deal with me. Not sure though 'cos I bought both devices second hand. :frowning:

1. You can’t use any sample rate above 50 KHz when using the Layla 24/96.

Not a problem. was planning on using 48k anyway.

Thanks for your helpful advice. I’ll let you know how I get on with Echo. :slight_smile:

:frowning: Well…tried all of the suggestions and … maybe it’s me but I just could not get it to work as I had hoped. Ended up firing up another computer with the Layla 24/96 card installed and then outing this to the ins on Layla 3G. it works, not the way I had hoped, but it works. :neutral_face:

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. i really appreciate it. :smiley: