Echo or reverb when playing back through UR44

I have my studio monitors plugged into the L/R outputs of a UR44. When I try to listen to playback on them there is ALWAYS a slight echo, or reverb that I CAN NOT get rid of. If I use any other device for output it sounds as it should. There seems to be a permanently enabled reverb on the master channel in dspMixfx and the blue “send” button refuses to turn off. I think that may be the culprit but I am not sure. Lowest time will go is 0.3, maybe if I could set that to zero it would fix it, but why can’t I turn it off (if this is indeed the issue)? Any ideas what may be causing this problem?

I have been dabbling further, and I think I need to turn rev-x off but I can’t. Also, the edit window for that seems to be displaying incompletely. the bottom section where the output and mix controls should be is not visible. Might this hint at the problem?

In the Mixer view turn the send to -infinity.
In Cubase you can do this via the Hardware menu (which is effectively the same knob as the mixer view but saved with your project).

Thanks for the post Rob. I can only edit this in the Steinberg dspMixfx software as I am not including any plugins in my DAW, the unit is SUPPOSED only to be acting as an input output device. Send on all channels in dspMixfx is infinity but the master channel still has the send button enabled and can not be turned off. Likewise, I can not disable REV-X either. This is what seems to be affecting the mix I am trying to send from my DAW to the monitors. I think the issue, as pointed out in another thread, is that in the studio set up (the Steinberg USB driver in effect) the UR 44 is shown has having outputs that are the two headphone outputs, and the FX bus, but the ACTUAL balanced outputs are not showing up. I have no idea why that is.

the UR 44 is shown has having outputs that are the two headphone outputs, and the FX bus, but the ACTUAL balanced outputs are not showing up.

This sentence seems to suggest a misunderstanding of the ur44 routing.

There are ONLY 2 MIX buses and 1 FX BUS.
MIX Bus 1 goes to physical outputs Phones 1 and optionally Phones 2, Main Output and Line Output 1/2
MIX Bus 2 goes to physical outputs (optionally) Phones 2 and Line output 3/4.
FX Bus returns via 2 Return Level controls to Mix Bus 1 and Mix Bus 2 respectively.

Since you can see what you refer to as "two headphone outputs and FX bus"your UR44 is working correctly. The routing is just misunderstood.

My next guess on the routing issue then is…

Do you have the RETURNS from the FX Bus to the two mix buses set to -infinity?
They are set to 0 in this screenshot - you want them turned down.

Page 33 of the UR44 operational manual has the routing diagram though I found it took me a little while to understand that the DAW can see the FX Bus - but it has no physical output. The DAW can see all the inputs, both Mix busses and the FX Bus.

Also note the bottom of that page shows how you can set the DAW input placement, after Ch strip, before Ch strip (useful when you want reverb for tracking but no recorded), or disabled. So this is the other place to check your routing. Again you find this setting in Cubase.

In my default setup I run Mix 1 as my Main channel and outputs and Mix 2 is a headphone channel. I can then run Mix 2 with RevX providing realtime FX when tracking vocals using a Cue channel) - The Reverb return for Mix 2 is just turned up to provide the realtime reverb. Mix 1 stays at -infinity so no reverb there.

1 Like

Yes I think I am definitely misunderstanding the internal routing. I am not actually using any of the Steinberg stuff with my work, I only opened up dspMixfx to try and find out what is going on. I think you may have massively pointed me in the right direction. In dspMixfx mix 2 has no reverb on it (yes all my inputs have send set to infinity but I can not remove the master send for Rev=x) so if mix 2 is also directed to the physical outputs I think I should be using that. OK I just tried it and mix 2 doesn’t seem to go to the main outputs (as confirmed from the internal flow diagram really) but mix 1 does, and appears to not have Rev-X on it. Hard to say as now the level of playback quality through the UR44 from the DAW is appalling (this is the DAW issue I think not UR44). So, in short, thanks Rob I think you have now enabled me to use the output assigns correctly, and I now have to address why the quality is appalling. Thanks again for the informative and very timely responses.

Happy to help. One last comment (hopefully cause you get it all sorted :slight_smile: ) - Cubase has its own hardware panels for the UR44 - so what you do in DSP Mix FX will not stick when you load a Cubase project because Cubase saves the settings for each project. So make sure to use those wizzy hardware panels in cubase.

Reachout again if you still find it more challenging than it needs to be- its supposed to be about making music not getting frustrated with technology (though personally I find the technology easier than the music!).

1 Like

I think this might of use for those just starting out.
I found this YouTube video created by “Cubase” that talks about FX/Rev-X and setting up the audio connections, within the first 20 minutes. It was from a live stream and nothing happens for the first 9:20 or so. It is helping me since I am rather new to this dsp functionality.