I am trying to change a piece that I have orchestrated in 2/4 and would like to change to 4/4 and double the size of all rhythmic values, but when I do what I read (select write, edit durations, double note values) it changes but not by doubling notes; it seems to ignore notes. What am I doing incorrectly? I have attached the 2/4 version which I would like to simplify but change to 4/4, 16th notes becoming 8th notes etc…
I have not looked into your file, but the key when doubling the note values is, that you activate I Insert Mode before. Then all notes can expand and stretch to their new positions.
You will need a lot of patience! Though the actual number of keystrokes needed is really quite small.
- Make a copy of the original file!!
- First remove all the double barlines. Dorico treats these as having time signatures attached, which block Dorico from adding extra time. So delete every double barline.
- None of your dynamics, pauses, rehearsal marks will move with the notes. So select all, filter for them and delete them!
- Engage Insert mode (I). And keep it on…
- TUPLETS. You will need to remove them beforehand and then replace them. Hint: to keep track of them, colour them something vivid. Select the bars with tuplets, filter for notes and change the colour property. Next Select all. Filter for tuplets. Delete!
- Select all. Write>Edit Durations>Double… (this may take some time)
- Convert each coloured note back to a tuplet. This is as simple as selecting the first note and hitting “;” enter each time (unless you need to change the base of the tuplet).
- Disengage Insert Mode.
- Tidy up. Change time signature, replace dynamics rehearsal marks and barlines etc.