Edit Halion Sonic Program with Halion 4

Greetings,

I’m trying the Halion 4 trial and noticed that I am unable to edit a Halion Sonic Program. None of the zone, mapping or sample parameters are available. I also don’t see any layers in the program tree for the Halion Sonic program. How would I route a kick drum of a Halion sonic kit to a program bus? Or use a separate envelope on any of the individual elements of the kit?

Hi there,

some HALion Sonic Programs (GM Set, etc) are not editable for users.
This content is in a locked container.

So this correct.

Cheers,

Marcus

This is extremely limiting and I noticed this exact behaviour as well, but knew it was intentional. Is this something that will ever be changed Marcus, or are we stuck with this behaviour like this? With things being the way they currently are, we basically lost most of the value of the included content as they are barely tweakable and are more like set presets than anything else. It is a good thing I use my own sounds 99% of the time in Halion 4 so I can have the control I am after. I am hopeful new updates will being even more functionality and tweaking to our sounds through Halion 4.

Speaking of updates, when is the next one? Things have been kinda dry. Besides 4.5 being released like 15 months ago, little to no new functionality has been added to Halion 4 at all.

Hello Marcus,

Will Halion Sonic be able to edit the individual zones for this locked content that you mention?

Hi there,

no, these locked containers (layers) are not editable in the HALion Sonic as well.

Cheers,

Marcus

Ok, thank you for your replys.

Cheers,

Earl

I agree that locking the content from editing is limiting especially when it applies to Drum Menu programs which have different drum elements mapped across the keyboard. Even though the sounds of the locked content maybe good, I always need a separate envelope and filter for each element used to help it fit in the mix.

Hi guys,

I will talk about this in our next meeting and come back with further information.

Cheers,

Marcus

I appreciate that Marcus!

Cheers,

Earl

That would be much appreciated. Maybe also take the closed nature of the Flexphrases along with it in the meeting.

$$ yes please …

Hi there,

unfortunately we can open the closed Layers for editing due to copyrights.
The same reason is for the Flexphraser, due to copyrights we are not allowed to “open” the Flexphraser.

I am sorry, that I do not have better news for all of you.

Cheers,

Marcus

I think you forgot the word “not” right?
Anyway, thanks for taking it in to account and communicating it back to us.

The same reason is for the Flexphraser, due to copyrights we are not allowed to “open” the Flexphraser.
Cheers,

Marcus

Understood, though could we at least have an import function opened up so we can import/make our own? In a similar manner to the way the midi import for the arp works in z3ta2. (failing that you could always just re-enable the ‘Easter-egg’ in the flexphraser that was present a few versions back… :wink: )

Care to share what this easter egg was?!?! I believe I missed it?

Terrible news indeed Marcus, these copyright issues have left some very important functions of Halion 4 very closed up and mostly useless as is. I sure hope other additions to the program help to gloss over this unfortunate shortcoming. Thanks for sharing however, bad news is better than no news.

I appreciate the effort.

I’m a bit disappointed with the copyright interpretation. That’s an extremely conservative reading of copyright. You might as well cripple all the effects and filters as well. It is the same reading of the rules. So, I can’t use the tool that is for the job to alter the sound, but I can do whatever I want with it externally? That makes no sense at all.

@Marcus, there is also question about update from @Cantankerous.

I know that Steinberg is very strict to information. But, please, it is possible to tell us if HALion 5 is in Steinberg kitchen and there is chance to be released this year? Or we need wait for next release cycle. I assume that priority in VSTi is on Grove

:bulb: Some of us have limited budgets for “Sound toys” and we need to adjust it very carefully. This kind of information and feedback is very important for me. Of course I love surprises but sometimes you need to rely on something stable…

Thanks Tomas

Hi guys,

I am very sorry and if I could I would open everything for editing…but I can not.

Cheers,

Marcus

It’s ok Marcus, you tried and we appreciate the communication. Halion 4 is still great in its own right, but luckily I rely on it more for my own samples and not the included ones and I don’t use the flexphraser at all, probably never will if it is so closed up. There are still many, many things that could be incorporated into Halion to make it even better and I am hoping for some additions that will help ease the pain of its shortcomings.

Marcus, I know you are just passing on info. I do appreciate it. I know you would if you could. I even understand the “reasoning” behind the information. I just don’t agree with it. This is just a tiny example of why copyrights are a broken misused thing these days. I mean think about it … you write content for a SAMPLER/ROMPLER, but for some reason you don’t want the people using the SAMPLER/ROMPLER from messing with the content? You’ve basically turned the H4 into a $400 mp3 player. Again, I know it isn’t you and in a way, not even Steinbergs for the decision. It is the overly latigious industry that music has become.