Editing in the Hub?

I would appreciate to be able to edit, especially delete files that I’m done with (like XML-files), from the recent window in the Hub. Is that likely to become an option?

It’s not something that we have in our immediate priorities, but I will make a note of it.

On MacOS, the recent file list is an XML file:

/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico/recentFileList.xml

I suspect there’ll be a similar one on Windows, as it’s specific to the app, not the OS.

I’m sure Daniel will wade in if there are unforeseen consequences of editing this file.

It should be fine as long as you take care to ensure the resulting XML file is valid. I would highly recommend using a text editor with an XML mode.

I find /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/ above my user, directly under the Mac but it does not have a Dorico folder.
user/Library does not show, could it be hidden somehow?

I think it is hidden by default. You can see it if you go to the terminal and type:

open ~/Library

Click on the Go menu in the Finder and hold down either Shift or Alt. (It varies from Mac to Mac!) The Library should appear in the list.

When you have your User home domain open, there’s a setting in View Options to Show the Library.

Press Command Shift G (Go To Folder) and type: ~/Library

There are about 16 other ways!

Thank you so much, it worked nicely.
If somebody wants to do it, just take away the part where you find your file, like /Users/bengtberger/Dropbox/bengtberger/Musik/Alla Mina Låtar/West Coast Amadinda/Amadinda skelett.dorico

I would really like to be able to get rid of XML files once I am done with them, and was able to find the recentFileList.xml as you showed in your post. I deleted it…but the file I wanted to get out of my hub is still there. I guess I’ll just have to wait till Daniel and his team add this ability in a future update.

You have to edit the file (to remove individual entries) or delete it (to remove all of them) after you have closed Dorico. Next time it starts up they will be gone.

Another way is to change your workflow slightly: for files that you are about to import, first put them in a subdirectory, eg:

/to_import

after you have imported the file then move it somewhere else, eg

/imported

Dorico should then remove the .xml files from your history (because they can’t be found) but will keep the .dorico files that you created in the history. This sort of workflow has the advantage that you can see at a glance which scores you’ve finished importing and which are still in your ‘inbox’.

Ahah. I think the problem is solved! I reopened Dorico after getting your answer, and found the extra files were gone from the hub…but the one still there was not the edited one. By going to Finder I found two files, one good, one bad. I could open the good one from there. Then happily I accidentally opened the preferences setting and found the option for “Show complete path for recent files.”

I closed Dorico and opened it again and found that somehow I had saved the files in two different places. I trashed the bad one, and kept the good one.

I guess I need to figure out where my files save to automatically!

Thanks Paul, that was a good idea. Moreover if I just do one file at a time or don’t want to keep the XML I can just throw it and it will disappear from the hub according to you.

I think the behaviour is that if the file doesn’t exist then it is hidden from the hub, but not removed. This can be useful if you are working with an external drive: if you don’t have it connected then it doesn’t lose your history.