Elastique?

Amazing algorithm

I use ‘sizing applies timestetch’ in the project window, which i find useful for extending things like crashes, reverse effects white noise, perhaps vocal stabs etc etc, where I still like to have decent audio quality. But the algorithm has to be set in prefs, but Elastique isn’t there?

Why cant elastique algorithm be applied to this method of stretching? can only use poly, realtime … Does anyone know?

hi betamac

if you go too part editor then select part and then audio tab- proccess timestretch ,can you see it in the algorythm ?

regards john

Yeah its available

I just dont see how the program makes distinction between timestretching in the two different methods, allowing all the options via a menu, and then limited choice on the ‘sizing applies timestretch’. I quite like the visual nature of sizing, sometimes its quicker to get what I want

elastique is the thing i bought and use reaper for. so glad to have in inside cubase. what a difference in quality…
ed

You can go into the Pool and dictate per audio file which algorithm will be used.

Does this overide your preferences settings for “sizing applies timestretch”? This topic is of particular interest to me depending on what the feedback may be to this thread. Time Stretching in C6 - Cubase - Steinberg Forums Anyone here care to take a quick look at that for me? Should only take a second to verify.

Thanks!

Hey Stringpark, I need a while to get my head around what you mean exactly and to try a repro but I’ve subscribed to your other topic and will try to answer there, if you want to post steps to reproduce over there then I’ll see if I can confirm.

Dictating in the Pool only pre configures in the Process-Timestretch window what to use on specific audio tracks!

…so flatten stretched/pitched audio tracks with Elastique as you describe doesnt seem to work :cry:

I wanted to bring this to the top again. I just nnoticed this myself. Almost all of my stretching is done by sizing the part or inserting a file of one tempo into a project of another.

If I want all of my time stretching to use the elastique, how do I accomplish this? Shouldn’t it be in the sizing applies time stretch algorithm choice in prefs? Why isn’t it there?

This is an issue that seems to confuse users repetitive.

Solution: Consider ‘Realtime’ as ‘Use audio clip setting’.
That should be changed in future in the User interface, too.
If you have any proposals, place it here.

So what you need to do to use elastique for the ‘sizing applies time stretch’ feature is
to set the preferences setting to ‘realtime’ and then set elastique for the audio clip.
You can do that from the sample editor or - also for several clips at once - from the pool window.

Interesting! (And very confusing :slight_smile:)

Is there a way to say that ALL stretchng in a project defaults to Elastique? It would seem that this should be the default because it provides the best time stretching, correct?

I don’t know all of the reasons for the choices, but since you asked for suggestions :slight_smile:

I would add a setting somewhere prominent that says “Default Time Stretch” and have all of the options there. Make it Elastique by default if there are no good reasons not to.

Then make the setting in “Sizing Applies Time Stretch” show “Realtime (Elastique)” when Elastique is set as the default.

Yes, that is something that could be done.
Whatever will be done has to be done thoroughly since there are a number of things to consider.
That’s also why I will stop discussing this until I finally implement this,
which will not be right now (you know I don’t make promises about future, sorry).
However, I’m very interested in getting this done good and soon.

Basicly, there’s some kind of question regarding the preference setting:

1. Is it desirable to apply the same preset to all audio files that you apply ‘sizing applies time stretch’ to
    OR
  2. is it better to use the preset individual for each audio clip ?
    Maybe both.
    IMO it cannot be so wrong to simply add also all realtime presets to the preference dialog in addition to what it contains now. So users that desire the behaviour described in 1. use a preset of their choice in that list (like you can do for MPEX currently) while those that need behaviour 2 select ‘realtime’

Thanks very much!

I think there is no concern with setting a default and then later a user can choose which algorithm to change to on a per-clip basis. And when selecting the default for time stretching it seems like the best choice is the one that will provide the best results for most users.

I think that whatever the default is it should apply consistently to all firks of stretching. Sizing, inserting loops of a different tempo, and changing the tempo of the whole project should all operate in a way we can trust an know what is going on. If that means 3 prefs that’s fine but I think the one we have today expanded to include the elastique algorithms is acceptable if it applies universally.

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

But when prefs set to realtime, what is the default for an audio file? :wink:

In the prefs, specify the default for a file, and always use the current settings of a file for any stretch operation.

Elastique is default for all audio clips newly inserted/recorded.
If you set the time stretch tool preference to ‘realtime’ you can be sure to use elastique all the time (I forgot which preset).

Regarding everything else: As I told you, there will be a time when this thread is watched again, so keep discussing if you like and be patient for the result.

Onno Haak wrote:

So what you need to do to use elastique for the ‘sizing applies time stretch’ feature is
to set the preferences setting to ‘realtime’ and then set elastique for the audio clip.
You can do that from the sample editor or - also for several clips at once - from the pool window.

Could you explain this a bit more?
I understood that I have to go to file/preferences/editing/audio and set this to realtime.
But how do I set elastique for the audioclip?
Please explain.

For my work time streching is very important. Once vari-audio can be upgraded to a better algorithm Cubase 6 will be just the best. :mrgreen:

Well Cubase is already the best :wink:

Here’s how I read this thread: If you don’t change any prefs, all new audio brought into the project via media bay or recording will use Elastique. If you are opening an old project, go into the pool window and select all of the media clips and change them from MPEX to Elastique.

Here’s how I read this thread: If you don’t change any prefs, all new audio brought into the project via media bay or recording will use Elastique. If you are opening an old project, go into the pool window and select all of the media clips and change them from MPEX to Elastique.

Always Elastique ! There’s no preference that you can change so elastique is not set as an audio clips preset.
The preference mentioned affects the time stretch tool and ‘sizing applies time stretch’ only.
If you select an MPEX preset for this preference, it will bounce immediately (you can see the progress bar when releasing the mouse after stretching an audio event). If you select ‘Realtime’, the audio clips preset is used (which is elastique always). For all other time stretch or pitch shift, the clips preset is used unless you get a dialog where you can choose something else (like in the Time Stretch offline process dialog).

All algorithms in the ‘Standard’ menu are the old presets and will be remembered when importing old projects of course.

Its so sweet, I´ve been longing for this algo to be in Cubase for such long time, and now it works even better than I could imagine, nice job SB :slight_smile: