Elements to Artist upgrade

I’m seeing a lot of ads for “Steinberg Cubase Artist 10 Upgrade from AI” - I have Elements 9.5.5 registered, license on elicense key usb

Can I purchase this and upgrade my Elements to Artist?
Would it also fall in the grace period to update to Artist 10.5?

There are also some low cost sales for “Steinberg Cubase Artist 9.5 Upgrade from AI” - would this also be valid or would I be “stuck” at 9.5 Artist?

Thanks in advance!

The upgrades and updates are very particular about the version from which the upgrade/update comes. You need an upgrade/update that SPECIFICALLY mentions your current version (9.5 in this case). I don’t think an upgrade from 10 would work unless it specifically states “upgrade from Cubase Elements 9, 9.5, or 10” for example. You will see some upgrades that work for multiple versions but usually for older versions.

As far as the Grace Period, if you activate a Cubase license today (or in the future) you would be updated to the current version (10.5) of the same line (Artist, Pro, Elements, etc.).

Lastly, Artist, Elements, AI/LE are all different versions and the upgrades are not interchangeable unless the upgrade specifically states it. So, an upgrade from AI will not work for Elements unless it is an upgrade for Elements/AI/LE, for example.

(9.5 in this case). I don’t think an upgrade from 10 would work unless
Not thats not what Im asking

The upgrade is TO Artist 10. It’s just not clear if elements is included in the upgrade with AI/LE even though SB sorta mixes that on the elements about box etc. Steinbergs site has upgrades from AI/LE but they cost *more than elements to artist. (*and all the updates from Steinberg are more than the online sales!).

sweetwater sound (respected US site) says the upgrade IS valid for elements to artist 10.5 - but they are out of stock. Other vendors have it but are less informed…can’t answer my questions on upgrades etc

If you go here the elements (9.5 included) is cheaper than the AI/LE to artist 10.5

Also - I’believe there is a grace period for 10 to 10.5 artist per this
https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/cubase-105-out-now-5313.html

"Customers who have activated Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 or earlier versions since October 16, 2019, are or will be eligible for a free, downloadable Grace Period update to the latest version, respectively. "

But if I bought an old (legit not registered etc) older copy of 9.5 artist what am I elegivle for??
?

i really hope someone at Steinberg can respond and clear this up. This is really frustrating… even chatiting with SB US support and they didn’t really know and were “guessing”.

The AI/LE is “LESS” of a program than ELEMENTS. It SHOULD update from Elements, but then again there’s always the potential if it’s not explicit. As I’ve said, I’ve had one (Sweetwater) say: “This upgrade is good for upgrading from Cubase Elements version 6-10.5” but as I’ve said they’'re out of stock. The others have version 10 from AI - which shoudl be the same(?) and SHOULD be within the grace period for 10.5 if I read SB;s info correctly

As for Cubase Artist 9.5 - if I read the para below from SB is says ***** or earlier versions since****

“Customers who have activated Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 or earlier versions since October 16, 2019, are or will be eligible for a free, downloadable Grace Period update to the latest version, respectively.”

f you go here the elements (9.5 included) is cheaper than the AI/LE to artist 10.5

Also - I’believe there is a grace period for 10 to 10.5 artist per this
https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/cubase-105-out-now-5313.html

I don’t think it will… I know it seems like it SHOULD work because you bought “more update than needed” but, as I said, it is very particular about EXACTLY the correct update/upgrade. There is a chance I am wrong but I don’t think so. I am almost certain I have actually seen posts here where others made that assumption and were seeking to correct the mistake and get the correct update/upgrade.

Correct. If ANY version of Cubase is ACTIVATED (not registered, purchased, etc.), within the Grace Period, that version will be automatically updated to the version that the Grace Period is applicable to (i.e. OCT XX 2019 for Cubase 10.5). So if you ACTIVATE Cubase 9, 9.5, or 10, after the Grace Period, you get Cubase 10.5 (of the same product line, of course, such as Pro, Artist, Elements, etc.) And, it should be noted that UPDATING or UPGRADING to a new version counts as an ACTIVATION to the new version. So, if you buy Cubase 8, activate it, then buy an update from C8 to C9 and activate that, you have ACTIVATED C9 and would get a grace period update, if in the window, to the current version.

I don’t think it will… I know it seems like it SHOULD work because you bought “more update than needed”
Thanks - my concern as well. Although I have a retail seller (Sweetwater) who says it *CAN be used - hence I’d *really like some sort of official final word.

Aside from the direct Steinberg site - there is no offering of a specific “elements to artist” upgrade

One more thing that adds to the confusion… my Cubase Elements* main menu bar “Help” is “Help >> About Cubase LE AI Elements …”

None of that matters anyway. All that matters is what your license says (in eLCC).
Elements, AI, and LE all use the same base program (content is different) with certain features enabled based on the license present.
Same thing with Artist and Pro…

Funny thing. I just realize I have an unused copy of AI from my Yamaha THR10C! I guess I don’t have to worry about it!
Just registered it and now I have Cubase AI 10 licensed (and Elements licensed)

Now I should be able to register the Artist ugrade from AI with a new (to be purchased) elicenser and have an elements copy for laptop and Artist for main desk right? Now to figure out how to juggle two usb elicensers

Yes, that should work.

I would like to buy the mentioned Cubase Artist 10.5 Upgrade from AI in a box version, but it’s out of stock everywhere. Can it be download anywhere from Steinberg site. Or it can not be, because do I need an USB E-licenser?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Just to wrap this up:
I had the same question last year as well.
Answer: The license upgrade is specifically for the update in the name.
An upgrade labeled AI to Artist is NOT good for updating from LE or elements.

So I just got my software and entered the Activation code and it says “Activation Code for Cubase Artist 9.5 UG AI”
So I have activation codes for AI and Artist (9.5? 10.5?)

So do I get to DL and install the 10.5 or the 9.5?
Do I install 9.5 first?
This is not clear and it’s not what I expected ???
Am I stuck at 9.5???!
Or is it when I “register” or ???

Summary update = all is well
It worked! I used my elicense app and registered my new USB elicense “dongle”
Then activated my AI license
Then activated my Artist 9.5
The elicenser control panel then said Artist " updated to 10.5" and shows 10.5 licensed!

Forgot to add - thanks for all the help. In the end it was just as stated - just was throw by the registration - but it makes perfect sense that it was the 'activation" that was key.

Glad you got it sorted out.