eLicenser Issue with X99 or USB3 Motherboards

Just want to share this issue and solution with others that are using a ‘newer’ motherboard that has USB 3.0 or USB3.1 connections and are running into issues with the eLicenser.

The eLicenser still uses an ancient bit of firmware that goes apeshit when in contact with anything USB3 or Intel xHCI Mode. Cubase (pro 8 or 8.5 in my case) will show error messages, license not found messages, and the eLicenser continuously loses connection making Cubase completely unusable!

Many of the newer boards will use an USB3 hub from which the USB2 or 1.1 connections are branched. After many hours of searching for solutions, BIOS settings trial and error I finally found a way around this eLicenser buggy firmware issue.

The only way I have found is to go into the BIOS and disable the Intel xHCI Mode. On the ASUS X99-A board it can be found under the Advanced > USB Configuration setup area. I have also disabled xHCI Hand-off and EHCI Hand-off settings.

Steinberg - If you are reading this. Please get with the program and update your eLicenser firmware to one that will work with the ‘newer’ motherboards and USB3!!! :open_mouth:

Hope this helps someone else as I pulled out half my head of hair and lost many hours getting Cubase to work.