Emu ASIO input

Hi Folks,
I am using an EMU 1212M card and just want to achieve a simple process to use a hardware plugin. None of the input busses I create will let me select the EMU ASIO even though it shows up as an option. Every time I select it it just goes back to “not connected” in the box.
Some signal must be getting through as if I push the fader hard enough it starts to feed back.

Driving me nuts.

Glenn

Sounds like a bad driver… what are all your system specs?

Hi, Glenn

Seems strange as everything is working here, with Patchmix.

Be sure that :

• there is a ‘Send’ to an ASIO input pair (from ASIO IN 1/2 to 31/32) affected to each channel strip in Patchmix, otherwise the channel won’t be available as an ASIO input in Cubase.
  • each channel is muted, to avoid double playback.

Following is my general setup in Patchmix, as a picture is sometimes better than a long speech. :wink:

Hope this will help.

Also, if you’re new to it, it’s easy to load the wrong template into Paychmix. Make sure you haven’t loaded the 1616 set by mistake, say.
Driver check could be helpful too. 64 bit / 32 bit?
If you have the latest Emu driver and have problems it might be better to use the last driver before that.
ProductionForums.com is for sale | HugeDomains is an Emu forum.
http://www.emu.com/

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. Tried the tweeks suggested and eventually got frustrated so bought UR28M.
Again, not obvious but I got it working how I wanted eventually.

Your time and expertese was much appreciated, Cheers,

Glenn

Hmmm… It’s a different kind of beast : USB, not exactly cheap (450 €) and still no MIDI implementation. I keep on wondering what is the reasoning behind this, as Cubase is, actually and historically, a MIDI sequencer… Beside this, no ADAT connection either.

Could you give us a feedback latency related, as I read here and there that the drivers and not exactly optimized in this department ?

Don’t want to bash, but I’m wondering where is the interest of this kind of tool…

Hi Cubic, and Happy New Year.

I went for the UR as I just wanted “turn Key” audio routing from within Cubase to bring my hardware units into play. As you will see from my other thread on here the UR manual was not very obvious and I had quite a few issues firstly for setting up the external inserts and then Audio midi sync problems. It’s working fine now but I have wasted a lot of time getting it to this point.
The sound from the unit is interesting. Straight off the bat I had to turn up my Sub. The reproduction is very “precise” and “scientific”. The EMU sounds almost “baggy” by comparison.
I’m looking forward to the Sound on Sound review when it happens.

G

The latency is interesting. Mine is showing 22ms. I put it at its lowest setting as an experiment and it popped and crackled. I’m on a mix at the moment and will be bringing VST instruments in tomorrow, so will report back with any playability quirks.

Laterz,

G

Thanks for the feedback, Glenn

Well, 22 ms… Hope you will be able to reach better values (it’s nearly unusable at the tracking stage at more or less 20 ms ; the delay is too obvious, IMO).

Otherwise, could you precise what is your MIDI implementation as, maybe, I will have to consider a setup with separate devices for MIDI and audio in a future thet I hope will be as far as possible ? I say this, because E-Mu doesn’t seem to update their DAS range drivers anymore and I am expecting the worst from Creative management about it.

Sad, because the 1616m is working perfectly here, comfortably used at 5-7 ms of latency. And it has exactly what I need, especially 2 MIDI I/O (priceless, when you have 2 MIDI keyboard/controllers), ADAT connection, 2 good mic/Hi-Z inputs and Patchmix, which is powerful once you get the grip on it. Such a device doesn’t seem to exist anymore in PCIe format, especially in a 400 € price range…

So, thanks again for any precision. All the best !

In fairness they have recently updated the 1010 card with a PCIe version and new drivers.

For exactly these reasons I decided a few years back to replace my 1212M with a RayDAT because (a) IMHO they have the best drivers and (b) I wanted to get all analog I/O “out of the box”. I now have hardware from various manufacturers providing A/D via ADAT, S/PDIF and AES-EBU into the computer and I never have to change the driver or driver settings.

Well… The 1010 at its present PCIe state was existing in 2009 already. It’s the one I have as a part of the 1616m system, this with the present audiodock : Nothing really new here. On the other hand, the driver seems to have lost its beta state, which was lasting for more than one year, but it’s still the 2.30 version. So, is it the same as the beta or a new one ? Go figure : E-Mu site is not clear about this…

It’s one of the solution that I am considering the most, as it has probably one of the best driver available and its 2 MIDI I/O. Problem is that, as I need 10 line inputs, 2 mics with decent preamps and 2 Hi-Z ones, i’ll have to find 2 ADAT devices to go with it. The whole thing isn’t cheap (at least 1500 €), this without talking about the eventual issues to sync 3 devices together. So, I am not in a hurry to take the jump, but I am still thinking about it.

Behringer ADA8000’s are great for the line ins and you might be able to pick up e.g. an older MOTU or Presonus with good mic pres cheap. If I add up all the money and time I wasted trying to get cheaper interfaces to work properly I would have actually saved money if I’d gone the RME/ADAT route in the beginning, so IMHO it’s well worth the investment.

You’re right but, actually, it’s the syncing between the 3 devices which puts me a little back.

Could you do me a favor ? I posted three months ago on gearslutz a thread about the problem, as I was near to take the jump at this time. I would like you, if you have the time, to give me your thinking about the advices that I got in it. It was quite in depth and truely interesting but, well, one more advice couldn’t do any harm… :slight_smile:

Here it is : http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/653822-considering-rme-raydat-setup-several-questions-remain.html

I certainly will have a look at that thread when I get a few minutes (and we may get moved to the hardware section!), but in the meantime I can tell you that you can just cable the ADA8000 (I see you already have one) optically to the RayDAT and set it to external (slave) sync and it will just work.

Thanks ! And I’m aware that I am somehow hijacking the thread but, as Glenn problem seems to be solved… :blush:

Hey you Big Threadjacker! :slight_smile:

Really pleased some good has come from my inane rants.

Good for you.

G

Hi, Glenn

Beware, the dreaded Threadjacker is in town ! :ugeek: :sunglasses:

Better rename this one “From DAS to Raydat”… :mrgreen:

Cheers ! :wink:

@cubic13, create a new post in the hardware section and we’ll take it from there! :wink:

Will do it this evening. Cheers ! :slight_smile:

Done ! :wink: