Enabling midi recording in Cubase 12 instrument track

I’m receiving a midi signal from my midi controller keyboard in Cubase but when I push the record button on the track it goes dead and nothing is recorded to the track. I’m stumped.

Hi,

Which MIDI Input do you use on the track, please?

How is the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter > Record setup? The default setup is to filter SysEx data only.

How is the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Thru Active setup? By default this is enabled.

I am having the same problem… Also searched and found other questions on this, with nothing helpful.

When you create an instrument track, and have an external keyboard, and play it, and it triggers sounds, then you record enable the instrument track, hit record, it counts in, then switches to just play mode and does not record any midi at all…

this is the default behavior… and it’s super frustrating that something so basic is a stumbling block and nobody can seem to point out the easy solution.

I’ve wasted hours on this, as I am sure others have, and it’s going to be a simple and silly little solution. Why set it up like this for people in the first place. It feels like you’ve set up a road block for the new user right out of the gate.

can anyone tell me how to hit record and have the dang track record the midi???

Hi,

Does it mean, the Record button on the Transport Panel becomes disabled?

This is definitely not the default behaviour. Therefore I would recommend to try in Cubase Safe Start Mode or even to trash Cubase Preferences folder.

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

I ended up closing the project and doing something else for the afternoon. It really worked me up that bad, and what made it worse, is I see others who have had the same problem, with no resolution.

So now 4 hours or so later, I re-open the project and it works fine. I closed the project and created a new project, to try to replicate the issue, and it works fine. There is def a bug somewhere in the system, as I see this repeated even on youtube where people run into the same issue.

I wish I could have those 3-4 hours back…

thanks for the reply Martin.