enharmonic change of chord symbols

I have a piece alternating between Cminor and C# minor

I Trend to transpose the whole thing a halftone lower, but now the C-Minor chords are (former C#minor) displayed as B#minor chords…

how can I change that?

To transpose from C# minor to C minor, the interval required is a diminished unison, so here’s how to do it:

1. Do Ctrl+A (Windows) or Command-A (Mac), or choose Bearbetien > Alles auswählen.
  2. Choose Schreiben > Transponieren.
  3. Under ‘Art’ choose ‘Vermindert’.
  4. Under ‘Intervall’ leave it set to ‘Unisono (oder Oktave)’.
  5. Ensure ‘Tonarten transponieren’ is activated.
  6. Click OK.

This will transpose all the music, including the key signature and all chord symbols, from C# minor to C minor.

I did that, but the former C# which now should be C minor, is now displayed as B#m not as C minor.

I don’t think you did. I think you transposed down a minor second, which is C# to B#, rather than a diminished unison, which is C# to C.

It’s always better to use the Transpose calculator on the right side! Let it calculate the desired interval for you.

But again the question: is it possible, as with notes, to force the program to show an enharmonic change of a chord?

I have Jazz Standard here with lots of modulation, where it is not good to display different keys every 2 bars…

First choose the chord (symbol) you want to transpose.

That’s a question I would like to ask too:

Respelling chord symbols: it is possible to use the “Respell” key commands to change the note C# to a Db. Is it possible to change chords like “Gbm7 Cb7” to “F#m7 B7” or vice versa without rewriting them? The respelling key command doesn’t work here. It is not transposing, just respelling. If possible by key commands (“to sharp” or “to flat”).

By the way: the German translation of “respelling” is “Enharmonische Verwechslung” (enharmonic change). Anyway, the respelling key commands work for notes but not for chords. Is there a way to respell chords?

It inspired me to this thread: Lost in Translation - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

It would be fantastic if chord symbols could respond to the same key commands as notes, i. e. respell using notes above/below…

Cheers,
Benji

You can also enharmonically respell a chord symbol by hitting Return to open the popover, then change the root note from e.g. C# to Db or whatever you need to do. This is also the way in which you change the spelling of a chord symbol for instruments with different transpositions. Documentation in English and in German.

But this would mean that I have to do it separately for ever chord.
It would be much faster and logical, if possible to highlight as many chords as needed and switch them fron # to b or vice versa. Like with notes.the difining of rules for every single chords seems to be an a bit exaggerated workaround for such a simple change???

If you want to change the spelling of lots of chords at once, use Write > Transpose. It feels like we’re going around in circles a bit here…

Hi guys,
in my arrangement I have 4 different keys (G - Ab - Db - D).
Now I have to transpose the whole package half down (for a different singer). I think I try to find a solution in 2 hours, but I have not found any solution. It would also be nice if the chords were to transpose.
thank you

If you use the system track, you can include the chord symbols in your section and transpose them as well.

I imagine you want to end up in G flat, G, C and D flat, in which case you’ll need to transpose each section separately: use the system track to select the passage from one key change to the next, then use Write > Transpose. G to G flat is a diminished unison, Ab to G and Db to C is a minor second, and D to D flat is also a diminished unison. Provided you have everything selected (which you can ensure by using the system track) then the chord symbols will certainly be transposed.

Daniel, I think “G to F flat” may not be what you meant.

G to G flat would be a diminished unison, or
G to F# would be a minor second, if that’s what Rolly wanted.

Yes, of course that is what I meant.

Dankreider and Daniel thank you very much (of course the system track, it was my stupidity) :wink: