enharmonic edits

Hello,

I just finished editing an Alto sax 1 enharmonic spelling but did not find a way to copy it to de Alto sax 2, they are playing in unison.

Do I have to manually respell again the Alto sax 2, or is there a way to copy the finished Alto sax 1 into the Alto sax 2?

Thank you… any help
Best regards

I don’t think there is a way of transferring those edits, I’m afraid, since those notes are respelled in the specific context of the alto 1 part. You’ll have to make those edits again. Sorry!

What about opening the Sax 1 part in one tab and the Sax 2 part in another, and copying from one to the other? Or am I missing something?

I don’t think the spellings will be carried through, because they are set as properties belonging to a specific layout, and the destination layout isn’t the same as the source.

Thank you Daniel. Is that something you are planing for the future?

To copy enharmonic spellings from a part belonging to one instrument to a part belonging to a different instrument? Probably not, no.

Daniel, thank you so much for your support.

Best regards,
Carlos

Daniel,

I would like to ask for your advise. If you were to write a an arrangement of Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” (which uses no key signature and is constantly changing within three keys signature, so a lot of enharmonic edits to be done), with few places where the guitars will play in harmony (so few changes of notes from part to part), for Guitar Ensemble of 5 guitars,
Would recommend to duplicate the Dorico file for each guitar (after the enharmonic edits are done) and then change the fewer notes?

Daniel,
Just to double check your previous answer.

• No copying (calling as I have seen it in the pencil scores I have copied from) from a Bb instrument to a Bb instrument (say from the trumpets to Tenor saxophones.
  • Neither from trombones to piano left hand.
  • Or guitar to piano, piano to bass.
  • equal instruments (from trumpet 1, to trumpet 4)

What you clarified in your previous messages means that?
In all this cases the enharmonic work will have to be redone for each instrument, is that correct?
There is no plans to implement this.

I appreciate you confirming this facts since it is very crucial for copying scores (at least in big band work, other jazz ensemble, and other large ensembles).

Thank you for your constant support.
Best regards,
Carlos

maybe one day the chord track could help tighten the note spelling

Daniel, maybe this could be a preference. Unless I’m copying something set, I always want enharmonic options to be in sync and to be transposed correctly.

To revisit this issue: the way enharmonic spelling works in Dorico is that if you change the enharmonic spelling of a note in the full score layout, that spelling applies not only to the full score but to all part layouts in which that note also appears, unless the note is explicitly respelled in one of those parts, in which case the spelling set in the part takes precedence over the spelling from the score. Enharmonic spelling is stored as a property of the note: although it is not a property you can edit in the Properties panel, behind the scenes that is exactly how it is stored.

Properties can apply either to all layouts, or to a specific layout, which is identified by the layout’s unique internal identifier. Enharmonic spelling in the full score is stored as a property that applies to all layouts. Enharmonic spelling in a part layout is stored as a property with reference to that specific part layout’s unique internal identifier.

When you copy and paste a note, its properties are copied with it. So if you copy a respelled note in the full score and paste it to another instrument in the full score, it will retain its edited spelling. If you copy a respelled note in the full score and paste it into another instrument in a part layout, it will retain its spelling in the full score, but it is not guaranteed to be spelled the way it was spelled in the full score in the part.

If you respell a note in a part, the spelling is stored in the properties for that note with a reference to that specific part layout. If you copy and paste a respelled note elsewhere in the same part, it will retain its edited spelling. But if you copy and paste that note to a different part layout, the spelling property will not match the unique identifier of the destination part layout, so that property will not be applied.

This is all very technical, I realise, but this is the fundamental way that Dorico allows you to have different values for the same property in different layouts, and what makes it possible to have as many degrees of freedom as you do when working with scores and parts in Dorico. The cost of that freedom, at the moment at least, is that some work has to be redone in different layouts.

In the future, we expect to have ways of influencing the way properties are propagated between layouts. However, in the specific case of copy and paste, we would have to take additional steps to try to decide which properties that have been set with one layout in mind should be translated when you paste to apply to the layout into which you’re pasting them.

I’m definitely not ruling out making changes in the area of translating layout-specific properties when copying and pasting at some point in the future, but we do not have any current plans to do this.

Good morning Daniel,

It is so wonderful to read your message regarding this topic. I did not know any of those facts. Just to be able to copy (the instruments enharmonic spelling edits) in the score, from any instrument to any instrument, is more than enough for my needs.

I just tried (for all my previous questions) it works great! Because I was editing the part, I was trying to do it the only possible way were for good reasons Dorico would not do it, from part to part. So, for me the lesson is DON’T do enharmonic spelling edits on the Part, just do them in the Score, and copy instruments from the Score.

Again, Daniel, thank you so much for the Team wonderful work and for your constant support.

Dorico is beautiful!

Best regards,
Carlos