Enharmonic Key Signature Change in a single part in a score

Hello. First post here. This forum is great, most of my solutions are from here. Thank you everyone!

I can’t seem to find an easy way to change an instruments key signature to its enharmonic equivalent in the middle of a score. For example, in a section of the score that is in concert A major, I want an Eb instrument to read in Gb major instead of F# major. Dorico puts it in F# major and I can’t figure out how to change that one instrument key signature to its enharmonic equivalent. Even if I change it on the instrument part only, it still changes it on the score. Also, changing the Clef and Transposition override doesn’t seem to be the solution because I only need the enharmonic key signature change for this one small section.

There don’t seem to be too many posts about this. I saw a post where Daniel mentioned that this wasn’t possible at the time (2 1/2 years ago?) and another where he mentioned getting creative with 2 instruments, combining them into one part layout, and then hiding empty staves. A big workaround for something I only want for a small section of the piece.

So is there an easy way that I’m missing for this? Or is this not a feature yet?

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, @zetorche. I’m afraid there’s still no better solution than using two instruments if you require an enharmonic change for just a short portion of the piece. You can set a transposition override for the second instrument held by the player so that the chunk that needs to be in the enharmonically equivalent key is written in that player, and because the transposition override affects only the layout in which it’s created, if you do it in the part layout it won’t affect the full score.

The awkwardness comes with suppressing the instrument change labels at the points at which you transition from the old to the new instrument and back again, but they can be hidden in Engrave mode via the Properties panel.

Wouldn’t a local key signature (entered with the popover and then alt-enter) help out for this section?

No. That would also change it in the score.

Hello Daniel, the work around is hardly elegant, and the very large part of what Dorico has done is create very elegant ways to deliver first class scores. Please please can the team create a means of showing Gb as a key signature in a transposed score ( in particular for an Alto Sax). I want to play an Eb minor pentatonic ( Key signature Gb) not a D# minor pentatonic with key signature F#).
Greatly appreciating all that Dorico does,
Thanks
Stephen

Does changing the option for preferring enharmonic equivalent key signatures with fewer accidentals produce the result you want? That option applies to all transposing instruments in each flow.

Thats tru, I was thinking about transposing scores in my head.

It’s relatively easy to use the key signature of Gb throughout one layout in this transposition case (i.e. Alt Sax in Eb), just changing Written middle C sound as: Eb to D# in the Clef and Transposition Overrides dialog.

F# Gb transposition

However, if you want to have both Gb and F# Key in a single layout, you’ll need a workaround like Daniel mentioned, I think.

Hi Everyone,

I am having a similar problem. I’m creating a minor scales exercise for my concert band and while the flutes and other concert-pitched instruments are in c-sharp minor, the B-flat instruments are in d-sharp minor and it would be better to have them notated in e-flat minor. The enharmonic respelling tool is great, however I wish it also applied to key signatures (see attached). While I know you can do such a change with the Clef and Transposition Overrides dialog this impacts the whole flow. I wish there were a way to do it with just a select group of measures. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

Thanks!

Does this option (that was alluded to in a link earlier in this thread) help in your situation?

You could use a local Key Sig. Select the first note/rest of a Bb instrument and change the Key to Db Minor. Use <atl><enter> to input a local Key Sig.