Enharmonic redefinition

Is there an easy way to enharmonically reinterpret a note entered via MIDI, e.g. convert a “f sharp” into a “g flat”? In Finale this is done by just pressing the number key “9” to alter the enharmonic spelling, which is very convenient. Something similar in Dorico?

Thank you for responding. I think my question was not really clear. Of course I read the help file, but the focus should be on the word EASY. I usually enter notes by using the MIDI keyboard, playing with the left hand, and using the right hand for additional key commands ond the PC keyboard. This guarantees a very smooth work flow. So it would be very helpful, if I could immediately after entering a (e.g.) c sharp turn the note into a d flat by just pressing ONE special key. Is this possible?

There’s not a single shortcut. You always have to decide in which direction you want to respell (maybe you need the double sharp once). But it’s possible to respell without leaving the input mode.

Sounds like a good productivity enhancement for some future release. Just a shortcut hook would do it - I too often hit these, and like SiggiM I prefer to get it all correct in one go with a similar workflow. Less cognitive load to have to circle back later and fix.

Yup. If it’s not the accidental I want, I’d rather just have to press a key that means “No, the other one.”

4 Likes

I guess they did the two buttons because it’s a stack, you can keep pressing in one direction if you want a # or ## or even more. It’s not a binary but an n-ary. So maybe in an ideal world where most rational people want to flip between the flat and sharp versions, we could have a shortcut and jump available for that (e.g. “Toggle enharmonic spelling”). The keys should stay the same because of the reason mentioned above, but if they wanted a third button (toggle) could be added.

1 Like

The “trouble” is that Dorico is designed to accommodate double and triple accidentals (as well as other tonality systems with gazzillions of accidentals). So it’s not a binary choice of F sharp or G flat; but also E double sharp, A triple flat, etc.

This makes it more flexible and useful, but at the cost of being not as simple.

You could change the shortcuts to only one key, if Alt = is not easy enough. And you could perhaps create a custom tonality system that only uses single accidentals.

I agree that if the enharmonic switches went ‘round the clock’, that might be more useful.

1 Like

There is also the Respell Notes Automatically function (mentioned on the previous linked page about respelling notes) that is intended to make the respelling process easier, wider-ranging, and consistent.

1 Like

And even retrospective in some cases, which I find helpful more often than not.