Enharmonic Respelling of Chords

Hello,

is there a way to respell chords enharmonicly for a specific part only? In Jazz it is very uncommon to have Chords like Cb7 or E#^7. But if I respell them in a transposed part, the chord in all other parts changes as well.

1 Like

You can change the enharmonic spelling of chords, but that will affect all parts with the same transposition (e.g. changing a chord’s spelling in a Bb trumpet part would also affect the Bb clarinet part).

Thank you. I tried that, and after experimenting with it, it seems to work. But it reacts weird under some circumstances. I guess the idea is that someone writes a score in C an then fixes enharmonic spelling in the transposed instruments. In my case, I wrote the score in Eb (transposed), then tried to fix the enharmonic spelling for C, which changed the spelling for Eb again. It got even more complicated when I had a Eb-part that was written in Eb and had a second Layout overwriting the transposition to C. There was no way for me to know beforehand which parts would be changed if I change the enharmonic spelling of a specific chord.

When I change the enharmonic spelling of a chord in the (concert) score, it’s changing the spelling in the (Transposing layout) tenor sax part as well, and vice versa. I can’t seem to decouple the spellings.

Same happens if I change the spelling in the guitar part, which is not a transposing layout. If I change the spelling in the guitar part, it changes in the tenor sax part.

What am I doing wrong?

I don’t have any page overrides in any of the layouts.

Lots of ways around this. First of all, you can check this setting and the Tenor part will automatically be Fm7:

Second, if you override it by changing the E# to F in the popover on the Tenor part while viewing the score transposed, then Dorico will intelligently change all Bb instruments to Fm7. (See the link Lillie posted above.)

Third, you can always use Alt+Enter with the popover to make the chord completely independent with both root and quality.

What you don’t want to do is use the transposition dialog which will change the entire chord definition for all instruments.

1 Like

Thanks FredGUnn,

I’d just realized that using the transposition dialog behaves differently from the pop-over. This is probably something people will want to be aware of.

Thanks for pointing me to the Enharmonic Spelling options (in Engraving Options). That one’s a big help!

1 Like