enharmonically change key signature in a transposing instrument

Halfway through this piece the key signature changes from Eb+ to E+. The Trumpet part goes from F+ to F#+. The trumpet player would like the this section in Gb+ instead. How can change the key signature in the trumpet layout from F#+ to Gb+?

If I change the key signature in the trumpet layout using “6b” or “Gb”, it does not give the desired result. In fact the key signature changes to only 4 flats not 6 and the remainder of the score is littered with many sharps and double sharps.

If I select that section in the trumpet layout and use the transpose feature, I can get the desired results. However the full score is then totally messed up with 7 flats including “B double flat” and sharp accidentals everywhere.

If I un-click “Prefer enharmonic equivalent key signatures with fewer accidentals” in the Notations Options, Accidental category, nothing changes.

Any suggestions?

You always enter concert pitch key signatures, whether or not you have a transposing score. From your description you do have a transposing score, So getting 4 flats instead of 6 for a B flat trumpet, when you tried to set the key to concert G flat, was correct.

Select the trumpet staff, Press K, enter the key signature as Fb (F flat, not E!) and press Alt-Enter so this only applies to one staff. That will give you 6 flats.

If you just press Enter instead of Alt-Enter, you get key signature for the non-transposing instruments with a double-flat in it, which (presumably) the other players won’t like!

Thank you Rob. I did as you suggested in the full score, on the trumpet staff. This is what I got:

1. in the full score, the trumpet line now has key signature of 7 flats with a B double flat. And there are lots of sharps. I can live with that. If I respelled all the notes I assume it would fix that? I would still have the “B double flat”.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 12.27.08 PM.png
  2. the trumpet layout is showing 6 flats correctly, however all the notes are in sharps. So I selected all the notes from the key signature to the end and respelled all the notes using “note name above” and that looks fine.

Have I done this correctly?

Ah… I didn’t think what would happen with a concert pitch score, because everything in your question seemed to be about written pitches!

Maybe your best bet would be to have two separate Trumpet players. Include only one of them in the score, and use the other one for the part. Then you can copy the music between them, and have different transpositions.

If it’s any consolation, the Sibelius solution for this is to create a “Trumpet in A#” (but Dorico won’t let you define your own instruments, yet) and the Finale solution was similar but even more arcane.

Yes that’s a good idea. I will try that. Thank you so much.

Would be great, if one day Dorico would give us this kind of flexibility to change to enharmonic key in one particular part without changing it in a score. I remember getting in trouble few moths ago as I worked on saxophone in Eb part. The same issue. Could somebody from Dorico team confirm this is on list of future improvements?

Yes, we’ll certainly come up with a solution for this in future.

Thank you Daniel, I am very happy to know that:)

I think I am having the same problem as above. Has there been any changes on it yet. I am trying to copy an alto sax part that is in Gb. I can’t specify this as 9 flats in concert pitch as there is no such thing. I have to say it is in F# and say it is in concert A. Unfortunately, the sax part ends up in F# instead of Gb. Any suggestions?

There haven’t been any improvements here in the past six weeks. As a last resort you could duplicate the player so that you have one Alto Sax that only shows in the score and another that only shows in the part. The downside to this is that the part and score will no longer be dynamically linked.