Entering a double layer of dynamics

How does one enter the following in such a way that it still plays back correctly?

Dynamics

Yes. I hate when I have to copy such dynamic into a dynamic thing. My method so far is to choose the hairpins (the smallest rhythmically valued dynamic) as a local one (alt-enter) and flipped. I enter the long dynamic as usual. Then I batch select the local dynamics and move them in Engrave mode. But it feels so un-Doricoish…

I would imagine by inputting dynamics from the caret, with the corresponding voice selected, and pressing Alt-Return for the dynamics popover. Some flipping for the up-stem voice dynamics is probably required too, I don’t think Dorico does that automatically.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses. It’s actually more complicated. I’m not copying this but arranging it, so the above passage is to be played by only one instrument. Perhaps I need to enter the notes twice in different voices and flip the stems so it looks like only one voice. Then I could assign different dynamics to the two voices. This doesn’t solve the playback problem, though. The clarinet (in my arrangement) has to make a decrescendo within each bar, but the first two bars each have to start p, despite the fact that the immediate dynamic isn’t repeated. A player would understand this but Dorico won’t. Then, from the third bar onwards, each bar still has to have a decrescendo but each bar as a whole has to be louder than the previous one. I’ve no idea how to get playback to do this while notating the dynamics as in the original.

Hidden fixed dynamics at the start of each hairpin?

You can also use the dynamics lane to manipulate playback without necessarily affecting the notation. Just note that if you move any points in the dynamics lane that represent dynamics you’ve input in the music to the right/left, that affects their rhythmic position in the score too.