Entering figured bass under a rest

Can I just check you’ve come across this, where you can change the duration of figures after inputting them?

Sure but thank you! Funny that with the arrow keys I seem only be able to move to the right, with the mouse also to the left. In my (Musescore) experience it is better to do engraving corrections with the arrows to avoid x y mistakes.

OK great, because as you know I’ve seen your other thread about figured bass hold lines - I’m interested in what it is you’re wanting to achieve, where that’s either not obvious or tricky, and therefore whether there are things that need clarification in the manual and/or whether it’s just a case of you becoming more familiar with how it works.

A way to include a hold line and an empty space in a more simple way.
Here is an example by CPE Bach from his Versuch in P Williams Figured Bass Accompaniment, I have to admit it is quite extreme but I tried to reproduce it and did not entirely succeed. Try it for you self!
The book:

My result:

The Dorico file:
CPE Bach P Williams.dorico (854.0 KB)

Tried the same in Musescore, a bit better and easier because I can use the underscore to make hold lines and to extend them (bit unpredictable…) and with Alt-Spae-Enter I can make ‘holes’ in the figure.

The original file: … (is not allowed here)

Does it help if you put figured bass ABOVE the staff (as Bach did) and then the base line of the figured bass matrix is always at the bottom of the stack, so more of your continuation lines will work? Why 7n at the end of the penultimate bar and not f7? Because you’re worried Dorico won’t “understand” the harmony?

Thank you, good idea about above the stave and aligned at the bottom!
The 7b is because I imitated CPE Bach.

Yes, in the Musescore version, not the Dorico one :slight_smile: I’m not criticising, I’m observing and wondering why as Dorico seems to prefer some accidentals in front of numbers and others behind and I’m struggling with the logic :slight_smile:

Bit better:

A Danish friend suggested using a figure such as 19, colouring it white by default, then using it as the “empty figure” these situations need… I haven’t tried that approach yet :slight_smile:

Interesting! Was that Lars Ulrik?
But the 19 (Rachmaninov had big hands🤣) will come on top of all the figures? Or can that be overrided?

Haha!
Not Lars Ulrik, a guy called Niels Danielsen - who talked me into trying Dorico…
I pretty much always use the coding to overrule Dorico’s default behaviour and I think you can place it anywhere using the commas principle… (I THINK!)

1 Like

The arrow left key of my Mac keyboard is broken!