Entering Niente Crescendos in Popovers

A feature request: to enter niente crescendos from the dynamics popover. Entering “n<” or “>n” or “n<>n” for example, would result in hairpins with niente signs at the end.

I write a lot of crescendos to and from niente, so this would be a huge help!

1 Like

One of our beta testers has already requested this, and it will be possible in the next update.

That’s great — thanks!

Hello all, am I right in thinking this didn’t quiet make it? When I try it, the niente box has a dash in it i.e. it’s neither off nor on rather, or so it looks, it’s thinking about it :wink: Best, Michael

Michael, it’s certainly working fine here

It also works with “o<” for the circle terminals. From what you describe, it seems you’re actually selecting different items – a hairpin, as well as a text dynamic.

Thanks for the answers. Strange. I’m just selecting notes as with leo’s example and when I try with ‘n’ or ‘o’ I get nothing other than the properties niente box with a dash: no actual 0 in the hairpin. This is on notes imported from musicxml. Can’t imagine that s/would make a difference but perhaps…Best, Michael

I’m using niente - crescendo ( o< ) quite often and it works and looks great, especially after I edited the circle to be a bit larger.
What I’m missing though, is a possibility to add a destination dynamic in one go, e.g. “ o<mf “. For some reason this isn’t possible.

I find the same issue when inputting niente hairpins that crescendo to a certain dynamic. The niente doesn’t appear when using the popover.

1 Like

The popover does not correctly parse every possible combination of things you can specify, I’m afraid: we do our best with tokenisation and regular expressions, but there are some combinations that are difficult to disambiguate.

Hello, has there been any progress with this issue? I am unable to have a player enter p, cresc to mp then dim. to niente. It is very frustrating to not be able to do such a basic thing.

1 Like

You can’t do it in a single invocation of the popover, but I suspect that’s not useful in general anyway, since for such a specific combination of dynamics I imagine that you have similarly specific ideas about exactly where each dynamic should go. So I would recommend showing the caret and inputting the dynamics individually, e.g. position the caret at the note where the p should appear, type Shift+D to show the popover, enter p< and hit Return to confirm the popover, then hit Space to advance the caret to the point where the mp should appear, then type Shift+D, enter the mp, confirm with Return, then before you advance the caret with Space, invoke the popover once more and enter >o, then confirm with Return and hit Space to advance the caret to the point where the dim. al niente should end.

It’s annoyingly inconsistent.

dorico_niente_fail

That’s because the “p” is a separate (though linked) dynamic and the “n” is a property of the hairpin.

I would suggest that, when I type the n dynamic, Dorico should enable the niente property of the hairpin. Especially since it knows that I’m laying down a hairpin, and that I’m entering a dynamic level.

+1 for better niente popover support, at least for simple/common inputs I find myself constantly attempting, such as “o<f” or “mf>n”. I’m no regex expert, but it seems like the strings “o<”, “>o”, “n<”, and “>n” can only really mean one thing, and should be easily parsable.

Indeed, I don’t see why n shouldn’t be allowed as an immediate dynamic. That would solve all these complaints.

1 Like