Entering notes on grand staff - Dorico can't do this?

I’m a new user and tried Googling and searching this forum for an answer to this specific question but haven’t found one.
I created a project with a single instrument, a piano. Obviously it uses a grand staff and that’s what I see.
It seems I can only place the input cursor on one clef or the other. When I play notes on my midi keyboard,
I would expect that notes below middle C would be placed on the bass clef and above middle C on the treble clef.
It doesn’t seem to do that. For example, it will just push the bass clef down while it adds more lines to the treble clef
as though the bass clef doesn’t exist. Am I missing something here? Do I actually have to enter the treble and bass notes
separately, switching the clef that I’m entering notes for?

Welcome to the forum, mikew. You’re not missing anything: if you record MIDI in real-time then Dorico will automatically split the notes that you play over both staves, but if you are using step-time input (i.e. just playing a note or chord at a time) then Dorico currently is limited to input on only one staff. You might find it useful to know that you can select a note or bunch of notes on one staff and type Alt+M to move them to the staff below, so you can marquis select notes that have been input onto the right-hand staff and then move them to the left-hand staff quickly and easily.

Allowing you to input on multiple staves at once in step-time is definitely something we anticipate adding in a future version of the software.

OK, thanks for you response

For the people who are wondering if you can now step notate on multiple staff, Yes you can!

1 Like

It seems like if you extend the caret (Shift up or down arrow) to cover both staves then do your step input, Dorico will distribute the notes on the proper staff.

came for this thanks!!