Entering percussion notation to an instrumental (not percussion) part

I have a situation where all but one player in the score switch to clapping. What is the best method to input the correct notehead and playback?

Personally I would just notate them normally, once you’re finished select the whole clapping part, right click > notehead and change to probably Crosses > X noteheads. If you don’t want them to play, go to the properties panel below and select suppress playback.

Thank you for your input. What you are suggesting is something I can do, but I am curious to find out how to make it playable with the clap sound as well.

See if using cues and hidden instruments works
singAndClap.dorico (813.3 KB)
for you. (You will also have to find a legitimate Clap sound, of course.)

Please bear with me because I’m still not getting how to do this after an earlier post and reply, singAndClap.dorico. For playback, although it is not vital (I suppressed the current playback because I only changed the look of the noteheads, which still sound according to their respective instruments) I added the handclap to the score and would like to hide it because the claps will be made visible in the parts above. Initially I placed those noteheads above the staff with stems up. I then discovered that upon transposition of the parts, the noteheads moved as well. I could use a step by step if someone is willing to take the time. Thanks in advance.

I’ve moved your new post to your existing thread, which I guess you struggled to find: for future reference, you can look at your own profile (click on your own name, or use the menu at the top right-hand corner), and choose Activity to see all of the posts you have made, threads you have participated in, and so on.

I might be missing something, but is the issue that you want the note to appear on the middle staff line in the transposed part? If so, setting the Unpitched notes pos. property to 0 for your Anvil cues should be sufficient.

Thank you. Yes, I thought I perhaps did not enter my inquiry properly. I’ll have a look.

The position on the staff is ultimately irrelevant. For the sake of having something to represent the percussion part in the sax parts I entered a crossed notehead in the G position (top of staff treble clef) and B position (top of staff bass clef) and forced the stems up so that they would appear the same in the score (concert pitch). However, when transposing the score and extracting parts, the proposed percussion notes added to the other instrumental parts were moved to the respective instruments playing positions and the stems were made relative to their position on the staff… Of course the notes would playback in their respective positions. So I suppressed their playback in the properties panel.
Now I am at a loss where to find Unpitched notes pos (I am assuming this is found in the properties panel after creating the notes as percussion notes) and understanding the meaning of Anvil cues. I have been searching the manual, but as of yet I have had no success.
For playback purposes I added the handclap part with the intention of somehow hiding the part from the score, but perhaps it was not necessary if I could have added them to the existing instrumental parts. Hopefully, this explains what I am trying to accomplish.

The Unpitched notes pos. property appears in the Properties panel when you have a cue selected. In the project you uploaded, your unpitched notes showing in the Soprano part are cue notes, so if you select the cue label (since you cannot select the notes themselves), you will then see the Unpitched notes pos. property in the Properties panel.

Those crossed noteheads actually are not cues. They are pitched notes I entered. Hence, I am unable to use the Unpitched notes pos. in the properties panel. I just tried to make an edit by making a cue of the handclap part into the a couple of the sax parts, but those were sounding according to the respective instruments and a cue was not made. I’ll give one more thing a shot and go to layout to make sure parts can be made as cues.

Hi. Just read this post and got curious. If I understood what Art51tra is asking, this is what I did to get the result wanted.
I created a project where I chose Alto Sax & Hand Clap for the same player, in the setup tab.
Then to change the note heads, I clicked on the 3 dots next to the hand clap instrument and chose “edit percussion playing techniques”.
In the window I clicked on the Notehead set pulldown menu and chose a different head for the clap.
When you look at the score, full or individual, the pentagram changes to one line when handclap needs to be used.

Here’s the sample project file:

Sax & Handclap.dorico (566.0 KB)

Hope this helps.
Enjoy

Thank you. Bollen. I have been down that road, but when I extract the score and parts, I need consistency. What I see in the score is not the same as what I see in the parts, which for me is crucial as a selling point.

I’m not sure I’m following you. I would do it exactly as Bollen described as well, and then just add another hand clap staff that’s not visible in the score if playback is required.

Score:

Alto 1 part:
alto

Score and parts match, and everything is clear.

I might be wrong, but I think @Art51tra is using a concert pitch score yet still want to the claps to be notated on the middle line in the (transposed) parts.

If you really want to do it with instrument switching, I’d hack your instruments.xml file to make Hand Clap a 5-line staff. Saxophone players are not used to the staff changing to a 1-line staff in the middle of a piece and it looks really odd. Just change the numStaveLines entry below.

Oh, ok got it. I never use a concert score for the very reason he stated that “What I see in the score is not the same as what I see in the parts, which for me is crucial.” I’m in agreement that the conductor needs to see what the player sees, which is why I always use transposed score.

@Art51tra if you want the hand claps on the middle staff line in both concert and transposed, then I’d hack your instruments.xml and do an instrument change to a 5-line hand clap staff.

EDIT: If you’re only using the concert score for writing, then the positioning of the clap in concert doesn’t really matter, does it? I mean, you know it’s a hand clap. What’s important is the final published score, which will be transposed, not concert, right?

OT. I’m in the camp of preferring concert pitch for score. As conductor I want to see on the page what I hear, rather than have my brain doing mental gymnastics because half the instruments have a bunch of different transpositions. But hey, I’m a string player!

1 Like

Thank you for having a look. Recently I created a project where some players had to double. So I added the extra instrument where needed, which I discovered could be seen in galley view. I reckon I need to add the handclap to each of the five parts needing it unless there is a way around having to do that. If I need to do that, I am happy to do so to get the desired result. Just seems like a matter of copying and pasting after establishing the first part. Instead of having a five line staff I’ll have a single line where the handclap appears in the parts.

I’m a saxophone player, so transposition is sort of ingrained at this point, especially looking at big band scores. I’ve been taking double bass lessons from a classical teacher over the summer, so while my bowing is currently about as good as a decent middle school kid, I’m trying! (Goal is really to be able to comfortably walk a bass line behind saxophone students, or my ensemble or improv class if the bass player doesn’t show. I’m pretty close to that now, but the bow is a completely different animal LOL)

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head, Janus, and that is why the noteheads were not consistently placed in the same position in the parts when extracted. Thank you!