'erase background' in Dorico

Hi all,

In Sibelius one can avoid ugly collisions of various objects by activating the ‘erase background’ box in the inspector. Is there a way to do this in Dorico?

Not yet, I believe.

You can set the background colour for text objects, but there is no background drawn for musical objects like slur, dynamics etc., so you can’t set background colour for those.

But would it be possible, under the way Dorico draws such objects, to do so?

While we’re at it, what I’ve already missed is the possibility to “erase the background” of time signatures.

How might I deal with this set of overlapping objects?
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 9.07.31 PM.png

It would be definitely possible, but it can be tricky, as I imagine that you don’t want to erase the background everywhere, but only where it collides with other objects.

@GryptpypeThyne: It depends on what you want to achieve. I’d probably enter the messa di voce hairpin as two separate hairpins, and position it in engrave mode so that the crescendo hairpin stops before the slur, and the diminuendo hairpin starts after the slur. Another possibility is to move the whole messa di voce hairpin below the left hand stave. I agree that neither of the solutions is ideal though.

I suppose moving the hairpin would fix this instance, though I am trying to preserve the original engraving (Scriabin Prelude no. 21).
This sort of thing comes up a lot though; needing to break various objects crossing barlines and stems. Will there be a way to do this coming in the future? It’s definitely a staple for clear engraving.

Yes, in future we will have solutions for this kind of situation, but not imminently.