Erasure padding won't work with cross-stave 'harp' notation

Hello!

I came across an issue in Dorico 3.5 where enabling the ‘Erasure padding’ feature doesn’t actually erase the background when cross-stave notation is present. (See screenshot)

The same thing happens with dynamics/text but in those cases the preview does create the padding (so when changing the L-R settings for example) but when you then click on something else the padding dissapears.

Perhaps this is not an issue bot a design philosophy in which it would be futile to have padding overlap the cross-stave notation since that would deny the cross-stave-ness of the notation. But I can’t seem to think of another way to work around this and I think it would be a good option to be able to have the padding on top of the cross-stave notation for engraving’s sake (since it’s already an option in the engraving menu anyway).

I would very much like to know a workaround for this and hear if this is something which was intended or could/will be looked at.

Thank you very much.

You’re not missing anything. This broader request for “masking” has been brought up for a lot of different scenarios, and we’re hoping for more options down the road.

1 Like

By and large, anything that has erasure padding enabled should be “moved to front” (to use publishing program terms), which is to say it should be the foremost layer in the z dimension.

Thank you very much for clarifying, now I know it’s not a setting I missed.
Lets hope it’s something that gets adressed soon! :crossed_fingers:t2:

I don’t understand why you’re using cross staff notation in your example. What am I missing? Also, a harpist cannot crescendo a half note.

1 Like

It’s not a fragment for harp but for carillon (bell tower). This arpeggio is a short hand notation for a rubato flourish over all those notes (hence the fermate, and the tempo also says to add rubato).
I’m using cross-stave notation because as far as I’m aware the lower stave is usually used for the feet (pedals) but since it has to be one flourish I chose for this notation.

1 Like

The arpeggio indicates one flourish, to me. I was only suggesting not using the cross staff in order to solve your problem. I’d like to hear your composition, with that bell tower!

Off-topic: Has this (your?) composition been performed already? Can it be heard anywhere? Sounds absolutely fascinating!