Error opening file imported from MIDI

After a great deal of trouble, I finally managed to import a MIDI file into Dorico Elements 3.5, having split it into three separate files, and copied and pasted the imported lines into new instruments and players. I saved the .dorico file, but I’m now finding that when I try to open it again, I get an erro message - ‘Error opening file’. Surely I’m not going to have to do it all over again?!

Can you attach the problematic file that no longer opens?

In the meantime, also please take a look at the Backup Projects folder inside the Dorico Projects folder in your user’s documents folder: you should find at least one or two backups from previous saves in there. See if any of them can be opened.

Thanks for this. Sadly the only backup also seems to be corrupt - same error message. This is the corrupt (?) file.

serenade 3 woodwind + strings + brass.dorico (1.2 MB)

This version of the project opens correctly for me in Dorico 3.5.12. Please give it a try and see if it opens for you:

serenade 3 woodwind + strings + brass.dorico (1.2 MB)

Yes, this opens OK. Many thanks! What did you do to make it work?!

I opened it in our current development build, which has some special fix-up code that deals with a couple of apparent file corruption conditions we’ve seen over the years. It was able to fix up the file, so I then simply reopened and resaved it in Dorico 3.5 once more.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Many thanks.