Error: Sounds not found, Dorico SE

I have the following problem:
always when I open Dorico a message pops up that I do not have the sounds installed. When I want Dorico to play the written notes for me nothing happens. Also in the Dorico download manager it shows that I neither have Dorico installed nor the sounds.
Can somebody help me to solve this problem?

Did you load and run the Sound Installer? Installing the application does not automatically install the sounds.

Yes I installed both, Dorico and the sounds

Then try again to install the sounds. If it’s still an issue then, please choose ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’, that creates silently a zip file on your desktop. Please attach it here. Thanks

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (406 KB)
I installed it one more time but still this message pops up:

Hm, it’s not that Dorico is finding nothing, this is what gets detected:
/Applications/Dorico 3.app/Contents/Applications/VSTAudioEngine3.app/Contents/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_012_Dorico.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_084_HSSE_S90_Presets.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_101_HSSE_Artist_Instrument_Presets_02.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_078_HSSE_GM_Presets_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_091_HSSE_Pro_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_090_HSSE_Artist_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_076_HSSE_Artist_Instrument_Presets_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_139_HSSE_Artist_Synth_Presets_02.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_086_HSSE_SR_OneSoundzSilver_Presets.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_088_HSSE_VST_Expression_Presets.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_082_HSSE_Artist_Presets.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_089_HSSE_Basic_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_121_HSSE_Artist_Instrument_Presets_03.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_077_HSSE_Pro_Instrument_Presets_01.vstsound
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_080_HSSE_Pro_Presets.vstsound

But to be honest, I don’t know what is supposed to be installed with Dorico SE.

You say that you don’t get any sound at all. What if you create a new piano project from template?
That should sound, because you have the HSSE_S90 piano sound installed.
What if you open the HALion Sonic SE editor window then and play with the mouse on the on-screen clavier at the bottom of that window?

While you have the new piano project open, please create another diagnostics report and post here. Thanks

If I create a new piano project and write down some notes, no sound is coming. If I open the HALion Sonic SE editor and play some notes with the clavier the sound is coming.
Here is the new Diagnostics Zip file:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (376 KB)

Good that sound is coming when you click on the clavier, because that at least means, that the audio engine as such is up and running.
But from the logs I see that you try to start the playback but it stops immediately again.
Could you please try following?
When in that piano project, go to Edit > Device Setup and change the sample rate to 48000. Then wait for 3 seconds and change back to 44100. Wait again and close the dialog. Then try playback again, still nothing?

Ok now it worked, but when I open another project with piano chords and melody for trombone, the piano is playing the chords but there is no melody

In that case, go to Play Mode and choose from the main menu ‘Play > Playback Template’. A little dialog opens and in there choose the ‘HSSE (SE)’ template. Does it then play correctly?

Now it works, I tried it with the trombone and with the Bigband project, thank you! But can I save it so that I don´t have to change this every time?

becuase still this message pops up: Steinberg Forums

Go to the Preferences dialog, and on the Play page, make sure that ‘Default playback template’ is set to ‘HSSE (SE)’.

No sound for me again. Just one score refuses to play, had the issue so often. I use a powerful PC and Steinberg´s Ur 22 (to avoid problems right?).
Dorico refuses to share sounds (sometimes), with Sibelius or Cubase for that matter.
Then the opened score on Dorico, will “loose” its sound forever. Try to close it, Dorico crashes.
Open it again: no sound (only on that score). I know the solution, it happened sooo many times, I copy the whole score into a new one, save it all over , and start all over again. And btw. doing that you need to be carefull, cause Dorico will gladly crash while doing those, save asap.Today I got caught in the middle again…and again…
Another hour lost…over and over again…
Maybe some day it will get a fix. Never had the like on Sibelius or Finale,ever. Too bad cause otherwise Dorico is so awsome.
My wish list: sound problems fix.
e-licenser nightmare gone forever.
Integration with Cubase.
All the best.

Hi Concha, could you please send that broken project file to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’? Thanks very much.

Hi - I have a similar problem. I’ve been a Cubase user for over 25 years but am new to Dorico. I have the trial of Dorico 3.5 Pro. When I start a new project and load VSTs they work OK. But if I close the project and then re-open it, the VSTs are still loaded but there’s no sound when I play the score. However, I can open the VST edit windows and play the VSTs from the internal keyboard and there is sound. Another ‘weird’ thing - when I close Dorico an auto-saved file of the project appears in the Recycle bin! Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

The autosave in the recycle bin is by design. Dorico autosaves every few minutes (and you can change the frequency in Preferences). When Dorico crashes or hangs, the AutoSaves remain in the folder, but if Dorico is closed normally, the AutoSave folder is emptied to the trash/recycle bin. When Dorico is launched, it scans the AutoSave folder; if it finds anything there, it asks you if you want to recover those files.

Many thanks for clearing that up. I was told by Steinberg tech support that it wasn’t normal!

Well that’s disconcerting. Hopefully somebody can set them straight…