Essential component for playback has not been found.

Thanks, Ulf, for giving me instructions to get everything working properly!

Hello, I have exactly the same problem here. I can get no sound, and I get the same error message upon starting up ,telling me to install the sound packages when I’ve already done that. Plus there’s no sound packages detected I see. They seem to be in my library, but otherwise they are undetected.

1 Like

Hi Julian, please run the Steinberg Library Manager application (which gets installed along with Dorico). Can that program find any sound libraries? If yes, please tell us which are listed.
If not, go in Dorico to the Preferences dialog, choose the VST-Plug-in tab, scroll down and push the ‘Reset Engine Data’ button. Then restart Dorico and see if still no sounds get detected.
Also, please do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics File’ and post the resulting zip file here. Thanks

I am having the exact same problem and tried all the steps listed here to try and remedy it. Was a solution ever found? I wanted to get some work done today but I guess I can’t.

EDIT: Tried loading Sonic SE by itself and that also failed, so i reinstalled Sonic SE and all works!! Guess my install got hosed somehow. Now I need to find another excuse not to get work done…

1 Like

Hello, I am having this exact same problem with Dorico 3.5. The Library Manager shows all of the sound sets listed above as successfully installed, but when I launch Dorico I get the “essential component for playback has not been found” error message. I tried resetting the “Engine Data.” I feel like I’ve tried everything over the past week or so. This is my first time using this software coming over from Sibelius and I’m disappointed I can’t get it to work. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi DGH,
welcome to the forum and sorry for the trouble you are having with Dorico.
Could you please choose from Dorico’s menu “Help > Create Diagnostics Report” and post the corresponding zip file here?
Despite that message popping up, Dorico still runs and is usable, only playback should be an issue then. But we will find out and I’ll guide you through, but first please post the diagnostics. Thanks

Hi Ulf,

Thanks for your reply. Here is the Diagnostics Report. Hope this helps to figure out what’s not working!

DerekDorico Diagnostics.zip (260.2 KB)

Hi DGH, you don’t have HALion Sonic SE installed. Please let the Dorico installer run once more and make sure that really all components get installed. You might also choose the repair option of the installer. Let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

Hi guys,
How you find success with this endeavor! But is there any way I can be excluded from this email string?
Thanks,
David

Hi David,
have a look at the very bottom of this topic. There is a “Tracking” button by which you can unsubscribe from notifications.

Hi Ulf, I have installed both Dorico and Dorico Sounds multiple times and it hasn’t worked. It appears that HALion Sonic SE is installed via the Steinberg Library Manager. Please see the attached screenshot. Am I missing something here?

The Library Manager just shows the installed sound libraries, but not the plug-in that actually plays those sounds. The log data of the diagnostics report clearly show, that HALion Sonic SE is not installed on your system (for whatever reason I don’t know). Therefore, please go to HALion Sonic SE 3 updates and downloads | Steinberg and download the HALion Sonic SE installer and let that run (and forget all the other stuff mentioned on that page, just the HALion installer and nothing else).
When you then start Dorico again and still no HALion turns up, please post another diagnostics report.

Hi Ulf,
Thanks so much–this seems to have fixed the problem! I can now get playback. It seems that some sounds are not working through HALion, but I’m using NotePerformer anyway, and that seems to be working fine. Thanks again!
Derek

1 Like

Hello. I am also having the same problem where I have all the sounds downloaded as well as HALion Sonic SE and still get the error message. I’ve attached a diagnostic report below. Thanks!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (271.5 KB)

Welcome to the forum, @lukestickleyminer. So far as I can tell from your diagnostics, Dorico is finding all of the HALion Sonic SE factory content, but it’s not finding the HALion Symphonic Orchestra sounds. If you’re using Dorico Pro, that’s what it will be complaining about, I guess. You can download and install the complete sound package for Dorico Pro 3.5 that includes all the HSO sounds here:

I assume it’s different for the SE version?? My library manager says that I have the HALion symphonic orchestra downloaded and all the files say that they’re the SE version but it still doesn’t have any sound

I take it you have assigned a Playback Template from the Play menu or Daniel would have noticed that in the Diagnostic Report.

Honestly not entirely sure. I didn’t have to do anything extra when I downloaded Dorico on my PC so now that I’m getting it on my laptop I’m just not sure how to fix any issues because I didn’t have them previously.

Please create a new project from piano template and enter some arbitrary notes. Then do from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (346.1 KB)
There ya go! I appreciate the reply!