EUCON Update!

Been saying that for years, Steinberg are amongst very few DAW companies that do not have a dedicated consumer level dedicated multichannel/fader controller for their DAWS which is actually remarkable when considering the mothership Yamaha have been world beaters and inovaters for years the range of digital desks.

The problem with Nuage is it too big and too costly for all but a very few and, lets be fair is 12 years old or more. If it was an avid device there’d probably be a few on eBay now as it would have been replaced with bigger/better or even smaller surfaces with a range to suit all users and pockets.

They’ve been pushing the CC121 again after Presonus out manouverd them with their suprise 1, 8 and 16 fader/channel remotes with many cubase forum users buying them. Why on earth Steinberg/Yamaha just haven’t built a 16 channel pro version with a few extra’s thrown in beggars belief, its not as if either party dont have the basic building blocks, (Euston/DM200 0196i etc). Maybe they think they’ve missed the boat but, with the uptake of DAW’s becoming a fixture of just about every home/bedroom studio in the western world and now appearing more and more in small/medium and even large studios, and edcucational facilities just points to Yamaha extremely short sighted views in those areas

There seems to be a lot of hot air, talk and promises on updated Eucon specs flying around on both Nuendo and Cubase forums atm but that’s nothing new, claims of a fully working mix console view, show/hide channels were released over five years ago on the forum but then side stepped for many years si i doubt id many people take them seriously any more, although companies like Qcontrol and Nektar have had that feature implented from day one it would seem, albeit on earlier control formats, but MIDI 2 is beginning to break, it won’t be too long before that protocol will outshine predecessors and MIDI will once more be the king of jungle. so, come on Steinberg. what are you (and we) all waiting for?

Either get your differences with Avid out of the way and embrace Eucon or just build your own dedicated controller!

Using Avid Artist (x2) and Avid Control.
Eucon 20.6.0.11

My only gripe?
When doing automation with a fader, Nuendo selects the automation lane, and on the control surface, it DESELECTS the track. So, in the gloom of the studio, I don’t know which fader to grab, should I accidentally take my finger off for a moment, as I often do to stop writing automation while playing back.

This needs to be better implemented… track selection should stay with the track itself, not get deselected.
Or
Give us the automation lanes on the control surface.

Other than this, I have been mixing an entire live album for the past two days, 12 hours per day, and zero crashes. OH I JINXED IT. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Timo, I wish you a happy and successful new year at steinberg!

Could you please chime in and tell us (eucon users) what‘s new in the latest update regarding eucon and the known issues?

The eucon adapter in the studio setup is still dated nov 2020.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Dear @TimoWildenhain, dear @Matthias_Quellmann,

I would ask you to comment on the current Eucon update in Nuendo / Cubase 11.0.10. For me and many other users it is incomprehensible that a corresponding update has been announced but no noticeable improvements have been implemented.

I will not give up on this topic either! In my opinion, it cannot be the case that significant bugs, which extremely restrict usability, have simply not been fixed for years. Eucon controllers therefore do not work as advertised by Avid and Steinberg! In my opinion, this is a deception of consumers, because no solution has been worked on here FOR YEARS!

Can you please also tell us whether the long-standing bugs mentioned will finally be fixed in another (the next) maintenance update?
Thanks in advance

Please also check this thread for Eucon related bugs noted by many users

Dear all,

Thank you for the discussion. I’d like to shed some more light on what has been
done in the 11.0.10 Update regarding EuCon improvements.

We’ve been doing a couple of improvements that will improve the reliability of Nuendo integration.
Many of them are on code-level (code clean-up), but of course we have also fixed bugs that have been reported by users, such as:
[SOLVED] [EUCON] iPad app “The number of allowable hardware channels has been exceeded”
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Crash when selecting track wile EuCon app is in track view
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Crash when adding more than 37 tracks using Pro Tools Control iPad App
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Crash when adding 40+ Tracks with EuCon
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Crash when removing track while modifying parameter
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Crash related to MIDI Plug-Ins
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Crash when removing a midi send effect
[SOLVED] [EUCON] Avid Dock not working with EuCon
…plus a couple more related to memory handling and overall stability.

Thank you for reporting more issues in this thread. We’ve taken action in order to
fix the following issue with the next .20 maintenance update:
“Hidden tracks in the Nuendo mixer are still available in the Avid control app / Avid controller”

We’ll be investigating even more EuCon issues that have been reported in this thread
for upcoming maintenance updates.

Thanks,
Timo

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @TimoWildenhain for the detailed bug-fix list!

imho the “Hidden tracks in the Nuendo mixer are still available in the Avid control app / Avid controller” issue is by far the most important one! This one is asked for years and it would be simply awesome if this finally gets solved!

Beside that, the “Nuendo doesn’t follow scrolling in the Avid control app / nudging or banking on the Avid controller” bug is also really important, because if theses two were solved, it would be easy to navigate thru a big session “only” using the controller! As it should be!

Really looking forward to the next maintenance update, to see this progress on the Eucon implementation. Do you already know when we can estimate the .20 maintenance update?

Thanks

p.s: for a professional workflow with the controller, the following bug is also fundamental!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback! The next update is expected for the end of Q1 2021 and the
“Hidden tracks in the Nuendo mixer are still available in the Avid control app / Avid controller”
issue is already worked on.

We’ll be looking into the other issues as well but I cannot promise if they can be addressed with
the next maintenance.

Best,
Timo

So let’s get this right @TimoWildenhain
Are you saying that next update to be released at the end of quarter 1, 2021 WILL include the the Cubendo
mix console track filter show/hide track feature fully working and it will actually reflect that view on the avid control surface…?

This sounds remarkably similar to a few other posts from Steinberg staff I we the last few years…

Thanks much for the communication Timo -

The two that chednb reported are also the biggest fixes needed in my opinion as well:

“Hidden tracks in the Nuendo/Cubase mixer are still visible in the Avid control app /Avid controller”

“Nuendo/Cubase doesn’t follow scrolling in the Avid control app / nudging or banking on the Avid controller”**

Thanks again for keeping us updated

1 Like

I’m really looking forward for the implementation of this feature, because it will really speed up my workflow and avoide mistakes and confusion while tracking and mixing. I also hope that even if it is a competitive product, steinberg will continue to work on this. It is sad, that yamaha did not come up with a affordable alternative to this point when it comes to control surfaces. I really hope for this in the future.

I’m not sure I understand your comment about the Hide/Show issue. You said it’s “ALREADY WORKED ON.” Does that mean it’s already fixed? If so, considering it was the number one repair request for close to a decade, why didn’t you release it with the 1st patch?

If not, then do you mean you guys just got it working AFTER the 1st patch release and you’re just holding it back for the second patch along with whatever other issues you can correct in this time period? :thinking:

I meant that this topic is currently under investigation/review. It wasn’t “hold back” for the .10 release,
but it is planned to have this done in the .20.

Thanks,
Timo

1 Like

Okay, thanks. Is there any hope of returning the transparent track mode?

@TimoWildenhain
The “Nuendo doesn’t follow scrolling in the Avid control app / nudging or banking on the Avid controller” issue should not be “a big deal” to fix, because Nuendo already recognizes the nudge/bank commands from the controller. Nuendo highlights a small area on the tracks in the project and mixer window, but simply doesn’t follw/scroll! So this should be very easy to fix imho.

Maybe it is more complex to mirror scrolling in the Avid control app, but it should definitely be possible to do so, because it works pretty nice in ProTools.

Thanks

Any news on the 2nd patch release?

Hi Timo,
I’ve been solely using an Avid artist transport for the jog/shuttle wheel, which I can use as a touch and turn. It does what I need it to do, and since I am using it with a mouse I don’t encounter the bugs mentioned above, apart from Eucon not saving settings for softkeys. Some of the features, like being able to slide parts around with the wheel, don’t seem to work, but whatever. I principally use it (a LOT) for zooming axes.

Anyway… the one thing from this thread that makes me furrow my eyebrows is the Nuage pricing. When you can buy a 64 channel Yamaha QL5 digital mixer with hardware integration with Nuendo Live, 32 Mic Amps, 16 outputs, and Dante for about the same price as a Nuage 16Channel faderbank. Its like there’s not joined up thinking going on. Write the software to integrate Yamaha Mixers like the TF and QL series to slave to nuendo as control surfaces, and you’ve cleaned up. There are MANY more of them out there than AVID, which is not really a presence in the mid range mixer market. A TF5 is £2,500.

Even if it was a case of making a new line of project studio surfaces…Yamaha already has the tooling and manufacturing to make the physical surfaces already… Just need to redesign the internals and software.

2 Likes

Is the hidden tracks in mixer not mirrored on the Avid Artist only an issue with the Cubase show/hide tracks in the mixer?

What if you use the show/hide tracks in the arrange window, will the Avid controller follow that and properly hide the tracks that are not shown in the arrange window?

Hey Timo,
Besides the Hide/Show and tracks follow banking issue, can you at least tell us what else will be addressed in this 2nd patch?

They’ve been saying that for the last five years. It’s yamaha’s war with avid and they both demondtrate little regard to customers who’ve spent substantial amounts of money with both companies.

2 Likes

There is only one way to currently make Avid hardware reflect SB software and that is with layouts.

You can pre-program a scene with the visibility agent and match that to a layout. Then you’ll store it as a macro on the hardware. Note: It only works in one direction. You launch it from the controller. If you launch it from the software, the hardware won’t change.

Beyond that you either have all tracks showing to make the hardware match or you ignore the hardware and approach your work with the perspective of 2 separate items. :rage:

1 Like