Ever increasing project/file size.....

Cubase is acting very strangely for me over the past month or so. I’ll be working in a project, everything seems good and snappy. Suddenly, I’ll save and things will get a bit slower the next time I work in that project. I’ve been doing some detective work and have discovered that the file size of the saved project keeps getting greater. One project this morning went from 18 MB to 554 MB and all I did was add three two bar MIDI events. Any ideas what’s going on? Some kind of memory leak? I love Cubase but, man, I hope 11 is more stable and reliable than 10.5.

Ush…

Hi,

Do you use any Arturtia plug-ins by any chance? There is a known issue with the latest update. They store some data to the project, which makes it growing.

Yes. I use Arturia ina big way. They are excellent - but frustrating! Thanks for the heads up. I’m wondering if it could be a “soon-to-fail” external SSD drive.

I’ve been told that SSDs don’t “gradually die.” They “all of a sudden die,” unlike their HDD counterparts that can have a few defective sectors but still work for a long time with perhaps a little bit of data loss (or not). With HDDs, you get a warning. Not so with SSDs.

Thanks for the SSD tip, Lee. And for the Arturia info, Martin. I was working in a project yesterday. When I opened it it was 18 MB. After 3 saves (and only adding a few MIDI events) the project file ballooned to 1.5 GB… I WILL get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your help.

Hi steven dieveney.
I am having the exact same behaviour right now with with a project file increasing from 30 mb to 840!
Which to that point It won’t save anymore and get the project file corrupted message.
I don’t use Arturia.
I wonder if you have got the issue solved?
Would be grateful to know.
P.

Having this issue with Cubase12 now, any idea on how to solve it? Project grew from 50 to 900MBs and is now only openable if I disable all my plugins.

-Update-
Restarted PC, opened it without plugins, saved as backup (clean project with different name), closed Cubase, opened up Cubase Hub with plugins loaded again, load the backup project (waited about 10 minutes because it froze, then finally continued), and saved as new version. Bam, back to 9 MB.

Hi,

Which plug-ins and ARA extensions do you use in the project, please? Are all of them up to date, please?

It appeared to be Spire causing the opening of Cubase to freeze (plain opening Cubase, no project). Removing it resolved the issue. This was required in order to open the project to begin with, so I believe it must be another plug-in causing the MB increase.
They for sure must be outdated because I have not updated any of my plug-ins since I switched from Cubase 11 to 12.

The project uses many. (Sylenth, Serum, Kontakt, Glitch2, FabFilter complete bundle, Rev-X from my UR44C, Many from Waves, list goes on) But there wasn’t one that was acting strange or glitching out, besides the Spire that I had to disable to get Cubase running.

I’ll go ahead and make sure everything is up to date to avoid it from potentially happening to my other projects. Hope this info helps you and the team troubleshoot others in the future.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this. In my Case file went from 250Mb, to 2Gb, to 7Gb. The 2Gb is still able to open. But any of the 7Gb files says it is invalid and does not open. If I open the 2Gb file, and do just a couple of things then save it, it grows to 7Gb, which then does not allow it to load. While working on cubase it keeps saving these 7Gb files, but once I close the project and load again, any 7Gb files says it is invalid. I am suspecting it is the Repitch ARA from synchroarts, but I am not sure.

Hi,

Almost always it’s some 3rd party plug-in/component. The only way how to find it out is to compare a project with the plug-in/component against a project without the plug-in/component.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m having the same issue, with a project (project A) created from another one (project B)

This issue only happens in project A eventhough project B has actually more plugin than project A…

Could the issue be from somwhere else than from a 3rd party plugins?
What can I do to identify the issue ?

thanks in advance