Everything except score graying out every few minutes

Hello. New Dorico user here. I have been having a consistent issue with the program where every few minutes all the buttons and panels around the score will suddenly gray out, and if there is any midi sounds they will be cut off. If I just click the mouse or press a command, everything returns to normal; or if I drag the mouse around the grayed out panels, they will one by one reappear as I hover over them. I’ve tried restarting my computer, doing it on different computers, using/not using my monitor, and no luck, it still happens.
Also, this does not always happen. It seems to come and go as it pleases, and sometimes I will be able to go a whole session without this bug.
Please help! I am on a macbook pro 2016, using Catalina!

Cheers,
Sam

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 5.43.32 PM|690x378

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. I’ve seen this on another user’s Mac before. In that case, it was only on a secondary monitor.

Have you checked that your graphics drivers are up to date? I know so little about Macs that that entire last sentence might be gibberish…

Hi Sam,

This happens to me mainly when my laptop detects a change to the screen layout and it updates all screens. I think it’s probably an issue with QT and if it’s happening to you every few minutes, it might be a hardware issue - either you have an external monitor and it’s unplugging or your internal monitor potentially has a power issue. I’ve found that using the wrong USB C cable can trigger it.

Beyond that it could be a driver issue potentially. I think it’s most likely a problem with your system rather than Dorico per se

It’s a bit of a long-shot, but try going to Edit > Device Setup and increasing the buffer size one or two steps. It could be that servicing the real-time audio thread(s) is saturating your CPU, and that if you give the audio system a bit more breathing room, Dorico will get sufficient time to redraw its window more consistently.

1 Like

(Although that Dorico doesn’t redraw it’s tool panel when screens reset is interesting - I think the score is constantly updated and the tools regarded as static, possibly…)

Edit - whoops I’ll step aside here