EWQLSO Expression maps and Playback template

Go to Play>Playback Templates. Select the template of interest and edit it (click the pencil icon).
Put the Noteperformer (Auto) entry into the bin.

Well (thanks Janusz) I have got the Playback template for EWQLSO in my system now without the pesky Noteperformer add on (which seemed to take precedence in the loading of sounds), but I have run into another difficulty which hs been much discussed in these forums in the past but which I have not seen a proper fix for.
The EWQLSO samples do not seem to take much notice of continuous dynamic markings like diminuendo and crescendo. Although there seems to be a moderate amount of inflection in the sound I have not succeeded in getting an acceptable take up of these markings. Noteperformer HSSE and BBCSO all show a clear difference between a sustained note marked diminuendo and one played at constant level but with EWQLSO I find it is sometimes hard to tell the differnece.
Does anyone have a suggestion about how the cc1, velocity and cc11 valus can best be tweaked to give a correct interpretation of dynamic markings.

Sorry, I canā€™t help with EWQLSO.
But try playing around with the Playback Options>Dynamics (Dynamic Curve). Also you might want (for testing purposes) to set humanise dynamic to 0.

I would like to post a Dorico playback template i have made for EWQLSO using mostly Carl Hindā€™s expression maps posted by him on this thread above
However I cannot see how to attach files to my post.

Click the icon with the up arrow and an upload dialog appears. (You might need to zip the file first)

Well thanks Janus !
Here is the zip file containing the playback template and the expression and percussion maps it uses. I think mostly I have used Carl Hindeā€™s expression maps.
EWQLSO JC Gold playback template.zip (2.5 MB)
I am pretty sure that these are working as I have used them in a couple of projects already.

4 Likes

Hi, thank you for creating the template, Julian_C.

Unfortunately, the playback template in EWQLSO JC Gold playback template.zip didnā€™t work for me. When I apply it, the error below appears and Dorico crashes.
error_screenshot

Itā€™s probably because Iā€™m using ComposerCloud+, which includes only EWQLSO Platinum, not Gold.
(EastWest no longer seems to provide the non-plus ComposerCloud, which included Gold.)

Do you have any ideas on how I can adapt your template for Platinum?
Dorico doesnā€™t crash when I apply the playback template to a score with just one instrument (although the error still appears), so maybe I can do something to edit the template in that score.

Could it be that my samples being 16 bit are diffent from those those for EWQLSO Platinum (24 bit) But EWQLSO Platinum+ inlcudes both 24 bit and 16 bit samples.
I just checked and the woodwind samples load properly on my system. I have used the ā€˜Opusā€™ player (not the ā€˜Playā€™ VST)

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

1. Iā€™m using the Opus player.
    Plugin-name

2. The Opus player shows ā€œGoldā€ everywhere, which seems to be the reason for the mismatch.
    I tried overwriting the Path and Product in the right pane, but it didnā€™t work.

Opus only supports 24-bit libraries. If you want to use 16-bit, you have to use EW Play. The toggle to switch between the two only exists in Play.

EDIT: None of these templates work properly with EWQLSO Platinum+. I think they will be broken for anyone who has a perpetual license that isnā€™t part of ComposerCloud, as what you get in ComposerCloud can differ depending on what level of the subscription you have. This can affect patch names.

This is no different than the Notion stock playback templates failing to load a ton of instruments because they seem to have been developed with EWQLSO Gold.

An Aside: I find it hilarious that Steinberg still doesnā€™t have Playback Templates for Iconica, unless Iā€™ve missed something.

Yeah Iā€™ve got EWHO Diamond upgraded to Opus and they donā€™t work. Maybe just a naming issue with the internal strings? Oddly all that loaded was some EW solo strings template.

Anyhow Iā€™m starting a from scratch full featured Opus template. This will be based off my Diamond edition, but I hope it will work or can be easily adapted to Composer Cloud. Iā€™m trying to base it off of the BBCSO template from Steinberg, as that should be a gold standard to emulate. Also since we now have assignable triggers (key switches), Iā€™ll see if it makes sense to use the same key switches as BBCSO, just to not reinvent the wheel.

Or, Iā€™m also looking at using Spitfireā€™s UACC which is based off CCā€™s.

ā€¦ NP4 + NPPE HOOPUS. Incredible. I spent years fiddling with Notion Rules, Logic articulation sets and Doricoā€™s expression maps with these libraries but after loading up the NPPE, set the playback template and listening, Iā€™ll never touch another expression map for EW hollywood again.

2 Likes

Reminds me of what my theoretical physics advisor told me when I was solving an original problem in general relativity for publication. Which is, I asked him ā€œwhy not use Mathmatica to solve these tedious tensor equations for me?ā€. To which he answered ā€œwould you stake your reputation on a black box computer program?ā€.

So it works for you - great, but itā€™s not for everybody in all circumstances and not what weā€™re talking about here. By the way in the scheme of things (e.g. solving GR tensor equations), expression maps are not that difficult :grin:

2 Likes

This thread is about EWQLSO - East West|Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra - so nothing here will work for Hollywood Orchestra or HOOPUS. Itā€™s a completely different product.

Main draw of EWSO is the fact that it has much lower RAM and Storage Requirements than HOOPUS, so itā€™s - despite its age - still a really nice Notation Sound Set when you want a[n as] minimal [as possible] laptop setup.

EWQLSO and GPO5 will both work fairly well with Notion 6 OOTB, you just have to use Lite Patches (Master Keyswitch Patches) in Notion for SO and Load the Instruments manually for GPO5 (they are the same, but the way they are referenced differs internally going from GPO4 to 5).

Something like NotePerformer with HOOPUS or BBCSO doesnā€™t really appeal to me because this is mostly something Iā€™d want on a laptop - where I donā€™t have 5 Internal SSDs and tend to prefer to work without external drives dangling off the machine.

But I also donā€™t care THAT much about how Notation Sound Sets sound, as long as they arenā€™t offensive.