Exclusive usage of the soundcard

Hi guys,
I have just bought and installed wavelab elements 11.2 and the “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver” blocks the sound channel exclusively. If I remove the check in the box it disappears and does not work at all.
What is the solution to share the sound channel?

Hi David and welcome to the forum!

The “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver” is a basic driver, but the thing about ASIO is that it is not designed to be shared, because sharing it with another applications can mean compromises must be made, such as having to resample some streams. If you want bit-perfect audio from WaveLab, then it needs to have exclusive access via an ASIO driver. The usual solution is to use an external audio interface with dedicated ASIO drivers.

If you just want to be able to use, and hear output from WaveLab alongside other applications, and are prepared to make compromises, there are other freely available solutions on Windows, most notably ASIO4ALL. I’ve also heard good things about FlexASIO, but I haven’t tried it myself.

By the way, for typical work in WaveLab, you do not require low audio latency. I’m also hoping WaveLab will soon support WASAPI on Windows, which is native to Windows 10+ and offers options to be grant exclusive use to one application or to operate in shared mode – which is exactly what you want to do.

Thank you so much for your quick response! It will be super helpfull when I do not have to close and restart the applications all the time.
I will try ASIO4ALL - do you have a hint what the key settings are?

I have not used ASIO4ALL in many years, but I remember it was easy, and did not need any special settings. On this forum, you can also search (top right) for the terms WaveLab and ASIO4ALL to find other posts where people have had similar issues.

1 Like

Just for summary: I tried ASIO4ALL but didn´t manage to solve my problem - FlexASIO worked great right away :wink:

1 Like