Experiencing very low volume with EastWest QLSO

HI , I’m experiencing very low volume occurring in my Cellos and Violins and other instruments from EWQL Sym Orch Platinum. I was trying to use violin patches that use DXF, dynamic Crossfade (?)

I’m not sure what is going on. If I reload the instrument, all is fine for the moment. Then it reverts back to being almost inaudible.

I’ve tried using the mod wheel and that seems to work initially. But when I restart at the beginning of the piece it reverts back to low volume. I’ve opened a controller lane and drawn in Modulation on the Key Editor page but it seems to revert back to low volume whenever I’m editing in the middle of the piece.

Someone on the Sounds Online forum suggested putting a Midi controller event at the start of each midi track. I am not sure how to do this. He uploaded how he does it with Reaper but I cannot seem to duplicate what he’s done.
Can someone please help me with this? Here’s a link to that discussion.

I’m using Play 4.2.2 on a Mac. Cubase 7,0,7

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong??

Many Thanks Jeff

It’s an old technique that was much used by us midi era guys. In fact I still use it. Not read your link, but this may help.
I always start a track at bar 3 of a project.
In bars 1 & 2, I’d create a midi part for each track.
This midi part is purely for set up.
Open in key edit and at the bottom, open up the controller lane you require. For instance set up initial volume (CC7), or pan (CC10), modulation (CC1) and I think your EWQL uses CC11 too.
Now set your project to start at bar 1, but the music at bar 3 and every time you loop it effectively resets.
not at my rig at the moment, but in your preferences there is something that allows you to set it such that if you stop part way through a track and then restart, it will chase your midi and automation values and then restart playing with the right settings. Bit early in the morning for my brain yet, so sorry if I didn’t explain that very well.
Oh, and in terms of putting in your initial midi values, I suggest setting your quantise & snap to 16ths or 32nds. If you have a lot of tracks with initial midi values, you can spread them out over the 2 bars and separate them by a 16th or 32nd each. The old term on old less powerful rigs was midi choke, when every instrument or midi track tried to send its volume & pan data at the same time, so spacing them out is a good idea.
You can also just pencil these codes in the list editor.
Another problem solving idea may be to insert the midi monitor as a midi insert and watch what is happening when you play your track back.
Hope that helps, & let us know how you get on. Others may be less sleepy than me & offer better help :slight_smile:
Neil

Just read the link and it’s basically the same message.
At the bottom of your list editor you’ll see a little drop down option - normally defaults to displaying the velocity of your notes. here you can add another lane to look at or select to show volume or pan or whatever instead of velocity.
use the pencil tool or line tool and add the value you require.
'tis really easy and without sounding judgemental - it’s in the manual somewhere.
Neil

Thanks Neil, you have been very helpful. I will look into what you have suggested in the preferences.

Regarding creating a midi event at Bar 1 in the project window, would you suggest pasting it to the next midi event when the music starts? Or does it matter?

Regarding controllers, which would you recommend using for dynamics, loud and soft and crescendos? Main volume or expression?

With regards to Dynamic Crossfades, I assume I would write in Modulation (?)

Thanks, Jeff

No need to glue the 2 midi parts together. The main thing is making sure you have your left locator set at the start of bar 1.
What I do: Create a midi track with no output - just a blank. Set my right & left locators (for the time being).
Double click on the midi track to create an empty part.
Now, any time I want to go back to the start of the track I click on that part & press P (to set locators) or ALT -P to set locators & start playback.
Any time you extend or shorten your track, simply go to that part & extend or shorten it (1 to go left, 2 to go right to the end)
Just my method of working, but I use marker tracks too sometimes.

Re your controllers - sorry, but I don’t have EWQL Orch, just the Choirs. I was making an assumption of the Play engine!! But if you mean in general - well you could start a whole new thread on that.
I sometimes use midi CC 7 in midi tracks, or I use automation etc. If you’re taking synth specific, be aware that CC7 volume, I think, is best. CC11 Expression may also affect the timbre of your synth patch.
Neil