Export Midi is missing a player

I have a project in dorico with two players. Treble clef and one for bass clef. When I export midi, I get a single midi file that only has the treble part. The export dialogue box only exposes a flow selector and as you know has no other ways to customize the midi export. Any help along these lines is appreciated. I have dorico pro 3.5.11.1054. The user manual reveals no more than what is on the dialogue box.

As long as we are here I export the flow to music xml and cubase crashes while importing it. I suppose that is a cubase problem, but maybe someone has dealt with this and has an answer. Cubase 10.5 latest update.

IIRC Dorico exports the top (score?) layout in the Layout Roster at the left of the Setup screen when one asks for a MIDI export (or is that an audio export?)

Someone is bound to chime in soon with corrected info if I have this wrong.

Thank you very much! On my 3.5, I found the layout stuff in the upper right hand corner of the setup page. I am so focussed on learning to enter notes, I don’t understand that big picture stuff. By putting the player I want on the top of the list, I was able to get the treble and bass clef exported and they imported into Cubase ok.

Cubase creates a sonic se instrument for each midi imported, but I was able to clean that all up and get it into the instruments waiting for it. Kind of a messy workflow, but maybe among the hundreds of cubase settings there is something that guides that behavior–but again, that’s a cubase issue.

Resurrecting this thread. I am trying to export five Dorico 4 tracks as MIDI for import into Studio One.

As instructed in the manual, I have created an “ALL MIDI” layout, including all five Players, and placed it at the top of the Layouts Panel on the right side of Setup.

But the export file only includes a single MIDI track containing whichever Player is topmost in the Player Panel on the left side. I have tested this by changing the topmost Player, and indeed this is what is happening. It seems as if the topmost Layout on the right side is irrelevant.

Studio One does not yet import Music XML. It seems the only option is to try using Music XML and a different DAW as a “middle man.”

In Dorico 4, the currently-active layout is the one that is exported, i.e. the one you are looking at in the music area.

Thanks, Daniel, I’ll check that again, thought I had tried that.

Retried with “ALL MIDI” layout properly placed at top, properly selected as the active Layout in the music area, with all five tracks properly selected in that layout. Still only get a single MIDI track, which is the topmost Player on the Player panel.

D4 - Horns Theme Transcription - For MIDI Export - Forum Version.dorico (747.8 KB)

The obvious temporary solution for an export with just a few tracks is to export them one at a time, putting a different Player at the top of the Player list each time.

If someone is able too export all tracks as separate tracks in one MIDI file using my attached small project, I’d be thankful to know how.

I’ve tried this out for myself with your project, and it’s working exactly as I would expect: the exported MIDI file includes music for all five players in the project. I’ve attached the MIDI file I produced simply by opening your project, which opens with the “ALL MIDI” layout visible, and exporting it via File > Export > MIDI.

exported2.mid (8.8 KB)

I checked it both by importing it back into Dorico, where it duly created five players, and by examining the MIDI file to check how many tracks it has: five (plus the master time track). So it looks like it’s all working as expected for me.