Export Separate Tracks, Different Lengths, Custom Names

I know this question has been asked before, but no answer seems to find the solution.

Scenario:

I have many tracks, each with 1 or more events on it. They all start at 0, but have varying lengths. They also have varying numbers of segments.

I want to: Export each track as a separate file, WITH a custom name, only to the length of the events on the individual track, all at once, without having to select a range, then select the channel, then perform the export. How?

The newest answer seems to be Cycle Markers in Cubase 10 and up. However, as near as I can tell, they only identify a region, they are not individually associated with a track. So Cycle one can go from 0 to 10.35 sec, and Cycle Two can go from 0 to 15 sec, but I cannot tell the batch cycle export to automatically use only Track 1 for Cycle 1, and so one. I’m back to clicking on everything one-by-one!

I have used Cubase since SX5. I have often tried to come up with a Macro that would perform this task with each new version. In no case can I find a command that will increment the Channel Selection in the Export Dialog. And even if I sit there and baby that selection, the Macro I wrote to navigate to the next track, select all events, then set left and right markers sometimes works, sometimes won’t. I have never been able to discern a reason for the erratic behavior. It simply will not advance sometimes. Other times it will, but then will not select the range. It’s like the export dialog interferes with the main project window navigation. (As a side note to this, when the Export dialog is open, I sometimes cannot get track handles to appear, either - mousing over the event will not highlight it. I have to close the Export window sometimes to get control back. Sometimes not. And this has happened in the last few versions of Cubase.)

This has become beyond frustrating, especially since as a VO for online instruction, I have to export up to 100 tracks per project. It is time-consuming, mind-numbing, and I just get depressed thinking about having to do it. I have no say over how clients want the tracks named, so I can’t just have them numbered from 1 to 100, which is what the render in place would do.

And I am on Mac, so MEAP is out. After all these years, and all of the requests for this function, what can be done?

Thank you for your time in reading this. I am grateful for any help.

1 Like

Im new to cubase, but i might give some input. I hope.
Since the export window doesn’t allow you to export the way you want, would it be possible to consolidate all events with a reference name using the logic editor and then they all will be in the Audio pool ? you could simply use the find in explorer and put them into a separate folder , if this works.

I have never used that feature. In fact, I’m not sure what it can do. I will take a look and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, I was not notified of your response by the system, which is why it took so long to get back to you.

Just to clarify you’d need to use the Project Logical Editor, not the Logical Editor - these are often confused with each other. Also this assumes that the Tracks all consist of one audio file at full length. Also if any VSTi’s are in the mix they won’t have any corresponding audio files in the Pool to look for. Also any FX on the Tracks won’t be applied to the source files.

The way around all that is to use Render In Place first. Depending on the settings used this can produce a file that is the length of whatever is on the Track being Rendered, or a set amount longer to allow for reverb tails and the like. You can select multiple Tracks and they will Render one-by-one. Not at Cubase right now to check but in 11 you might even be able to put the audio in their own folder.

The PLE even comes with a preset to remove the “(X)” from the newly created Tracks’ names (except that should be an “R” instead of “X” which the forum unhelpfully converts to the registered symbol - (R)

1 Like