Export Video / Bitrate / Resolution / Codec Audio

Hi!
Wonderful Export Video function. But we need improvements. I’m from the dubbing area. We reviewed the mixed material in a smaller video. Imagine exporting a 120-minute video at 1920x1080 and 35 bitrate? It is very unnecessary! We need to be able to change audio codec (AAC / PCM), audio bitrate, video bitrate (35mb is very big), and change resolution. It would be interesting for the next update!

Best regards.

1 Like

+1

+1 I have exactly the same situation as a TV composer … I get 360p files max to work with, why on earth would I export for review as HD? A half baked solution that for me is unusable …

@dbh , please check my ER Media ToolKit solution that replaces audio in any given video and much more.

Was about to buy it until I saw it required iLok :confused:

The toolkit does require the iLok license management software, but you do not require a physical iLok key. The license can be activated either on the machine, the iLok cloud session or on a physical dongle (iLok).

1 Like

The integrated video export is intended as a quick 'n dirty one-click export option. I don’t suppose, extending that feature with lots of options has a high priority. For common workflows the audio would better be married with the picture externally. That can be achieved with the ER Media Toolkit for example in a very easy way. Furthermore it is usually neither required nor intended to reencode the (unchanged) video (time consuming, impacting image quality ), with the toolkit you can easily combine the existing picture with the new audio to create a video file. There are features for timecode burn-in and more as well.

Just as a sidenote, some of this can be achived by using directly the free ffmpeg tool, but the toolkit makes it as simple as it gets with GUIs and provides additional funktionality.

Cheers.

1 Like

As @MixMike mentioned above, you only need the FREE Ilok License Manager, you do not need any physical dongle or extra paid stuff.

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification regarding iLok!

1 Like

But that’s what’s annoying; it’s not quick and dirty enough! Cubase was never going to be fully fledged video rendering software, it was supposed to be an easy way of getting your audio on to the video but by only re-encoding in HD it doesn’t do quick and dirty, it does pointless, large and cumbersome. Quick and dirty would have been preferable!

Hi Sagi - I already have a decent quick workaround - but wanted to give my feedback so that this is addressed in Cubendo at some point in the future.

1 Like

Hi @dbh , everything you point out is well known to Steinberg’s Dev teams, and even much you didn’t mention is already vastly documented over the last three years. I hope that in time things will get better on that front, but as far as I’m concerned, waiting for the solution to come is not an option I can live with, that’s why I created the ER toolset, at first for myself only, but in time it got so popular that I had to price it to keep it up-to-date on any system out there, and pay all its monthly costs. I honestly believe that for what it gives, it is almost like you’re getting it for free, plus, there’s no other tool that does what it does, certainly not as easy and fast as it does, otherwise, I wouldn’t spend all that money and effort to create such apps if I had found a working solution anywhere.

1 Like

I’m also waiting for normal video rendering functionality. I also hope to return the ability to replace the sound in the video without rendering.

It would be nice to have a separate wav file when exporting video. So that I don’t have to run the export twice.

In the meantime, I found a great free utility that can replace audio and more)

2 Likes

Hi @nshtain , yes, saving the exported wav file will be very convenient as well.
About the free app you found, yes, I’m familiar with Shutter Encoder and tried it a couple of times, but it’s still time consuming and has too much options you need to set manually each time you open it. Not really a one click solution as ER works, but if you still think your time is less valuable than the few bucks ER costs, then this is a fair deal;)

I’m sure your app is very good too.
But Shutter Encoder works very fast, no problems at all.
In any case, I would like to have a native Steinberg solution.

Made a video of me using Shutter Encoder

I couldn’t find a video of your app working in one click on the website. Please show me how much faster it is to work with ER and maybe I will buy it) And also forum users.

Hi @nshtain , as I said, I created the app especially (almost exclusively) for the kind of work we do, unlike other tools that are generic and can do lots of things but require a bit of time to set up, such as setting (if at all possible) desirable video bit-rate, audio bit-rate, video dimensions, etc. the tools that I created only do very specific things but at light-speed like no other.
For instance, if you have a big (full HD in high quality) source video, and you want to replace its audio, but at the same time, create a smaller version of it to upload faster and get feedback. most tools won’t even allow it, in others this can take at least two minutes just to set up before you even start the conversion, with the tools I created it requires maximum 3-clicks, and that is if you didn’t save the application status exactly as you like before. You can even set it up that the new video will automatically take the audio file name, instead of having to rename it later, and many other smart things only audio Pros can appreciate;)

Here’s a tiny example of how easy it is to only replace the audio using MediaER and Nuendo:

ER-replace-audio-from-Nuendo

As you can see, it’s all about convenience and speed targeted to the way we need it to get the job done the fastest and move on to more important parts of our work:)

Just note that on Windows it is an integral part of the software installer, but on macOS, you need to add the MediaER component into Steinberg’s post-process manually, but it’s free and comes with simple instructions that you perform only once and take about 30 seconds to complete (once placed, it works in both Cubase and Nuendo).
Download the free (three weeks fully working) trial and enjoy.

All the best,
Sagi

2 Likes

Hello Sagi!)

Indeed, your application looks great. If there is already a forum thread where we can continue the discussion, please give me the link.

So, I tried to use the app today, but unfortunately I have problems.
I started the installation by starting it up: _First Time, Run This!.app

A message popped up saying that I needed to download more codec files.

I followed the instructions, but got an error.

Of course I tried rebooting the macbook and trying to re-download many times. But it didn’t work.

I noticed that the program creates a small file of 6 kilobytes in the download folder.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 12.02.17

But it can not be unpacked, and the program itself also can not use it as I understand it.

Then I found instructions on how to manually install the codecs. But that didn’t help either(
https://bbc.github.io/bbcat-orchestration-docs/installation-mac-manual/

The activation of the trial on iLok was successful.
Integration of the application command into the Nuendo menu was also successful.

I wonder if it is possible to make it so that after exporting the file is added to the project (Create Audio Track) and sent to the ER application at the same time?

I would also like to be able to replace the audio in a large number of videos.
For example, I have 10 videos and 10 audios.
Audio01/Video01
Audio02/Video02 etc.

I’m tired of replacing audio in videos one by one))) Maybe in your application this problem is solved?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I’m sorry, it turns out there is a solution to the problem in the manual. I don’t really like reading them.)
Now I can use the audio replacement, but when I try to convert video I get an error.

Error Log

ffmpeg version 5.0.1-tessus static FFmpeg binaries for macOS 64-bit Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
built with Apple clang version 11.0.0 (clang-1100.0.33.17)
configuration: --cc=/usr/bin/clang --prefix=/opt/ffmpeg --extra-version=tessus --enable-avisynth --enable-fontconfig --enable-gpl --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libdav1d --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenh264 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvmaf --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-version3 --pkg-config-flags=–static --disable-ffplay
libavutil 57. 17.100 / 57. 17.100
libavcodec 59. 18.100 / 59. 18.100
libavformat 59. 16.100 / 59. 16.100
libavdevice 59. 4.100 / 59. 4.100
libavfilter 8. 24.100 / 8. 24.100
libswscale 6. 4.100 / 6. 4.100
libswresample 4. 3.100 / 4. 3.100
libpostproc 56. 3.100 / 56. 3.100

Unrecognized option ‘intra’.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

1 Like

Hi @nshtain
It already feels like we hijacked this thread, even though it is very much related, feel free to PM me if you want to continue discussing this.
About the last error message (Error type 1)
Yes, I know the issue. unfortunately, FFmpeg stopped supporting some very useful commands that I used to create “special” h264 videos in order for them to playback smoothly in DAWs (something that no other convert tool does).

Because something on your system blocked the FFmpeg assets download process (probably some third-party protection service/app you have), you had to use other means to obtain the FFmpeg libraries, in doing so, you actually installed the newest FFmpeg libraries version, that doesn’t support my previous code anymore, I already created a new version with an even better way to achieve the same result, but didn’t publicly release it yet.
Please use this version instead:
ER-Media-ToolKit2-Pro-2.2.35-Win-64bit
ER-Media-ToolKit-2.2.35.63-Pro-macOS

Regardless, note that what you were trying to do that gave you the “Error Type 1” , is something you should do only if you intend to import that video into any DAW for playback, but never when you create a video you send to others or share online, etc.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I have used your app many times today and it is more convenient to work with =))
So I will buy it!

The new version solved the problem with error 1.

I think our dialogue will be useful for other forum users who face the same problems when working with videos. So if moderators don’t mind, we can probably continue the public dialogue.

Do you think it is possible to solve this problem?

I would also like to be able to replace the audio in a large number of videos.
For example, I have 10 videos and 10 audios.
Audio01/Video01
Audio02/Video02 etc.
1 Like

Thanks for the update @nshtain

To answer your question about combining multiple video/audio files, read the ER Pro User-Guide regarding “Queue Mode” (Page 23).

You can also use the “Fixed Video Mode” or “Fixed Audio Mode” (Page 20 in the ER Pro User-Guide), those features allow you to “hold” a fixed video (or audio) and then drag in multiple audio files (or video files if in fixed audio mode). Very useful for composers who offer several musical options for the client to choose from, and many other use cases.

I understand you don’t like to read, but you’ll gain a lot and save significant hours if you learn how to take full advantage of this toolkit. It really is well thought of, and designed by professional audio post-production guys with decades of experience in the field (Yours truly included:) to create the ultimate helper toolset.

1 Like