Exported files won't play in Windows Media Player

Trying to test the software out. Figured out enought to start recording. I recorded a quick 30 second track, set up my locators, and exported the file… And the file won’t play. I’ve tried all of the available formats and bit depth options. I’m stumped. Any ideas?

I’ll check to see if I need a codec or something, but any help would be appreciated.

Are you able to play the file if you import it back into Cubase? That would be one way to check that you actually exported something.

Cubase version and system specs would help, too (sound card, Windows version, etc.).

Indeed, re-import back into Cubase and it should play.

Export options for test should probably be 16 bit 44.1Khz .wav (CD standard bit depth and samplerate) WMP wont play 32bit FP files.

I tried importing the file back into Cubase as y’all suggested and the file itself was fine.

Apparently, for some reason Windows Media Player absolutely REFUSES to play a Cubase-exported file while Cubase is open. Go figure. Hope this helps someone else down the line.

Thanks guys.

Ah…

Well if you’d said that in the first place!

It’s because Cubase hogs the driver unless you check “release drivers in background”

There…I figured :laughing:

Hi, I am kinda new to Cubase 9 pro, and Windows Media Player won’t play it for me; even with following everything you guys said. All it keeps saying when I try to play a file is “Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”

I checked the properties of the file and it says it is a BAK file (if this helps anyhow).

I also set the Audio Mixdown settings to 44.1 kHz and 16 bit, but it won’t really export a new file.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

A .bak file is a Cubase project backup file this will not be played in any player. You need to export audio mixdowm and creatte a wav or mp3 file for example.

I finally understood what was wrong…I thought Audio Mixdown was just the settings to export but i didn’t really know how too…because the bottom of the Export Audio Mixdown window was being cut off…so I set my app size from 150% to 125% and exported, but WMP still didn’t play it as a .wav file so I used Groove Music instead.

using export audio mixdown, I get error that wmp can,t read file. this is in Cubase 9.5 pro