Exported Multitracks sound slightly different than original tracks - bug?

Does anyone know why when i export my project tracks as Multitracks they then sound slightly different to the original tracks?
I export the Multitracks with all the effects on the tracks, the sends and the processing on the masterbus (+Master/Group/Sends), and then route the exported Multitracks to a bus with no processing - for comparrison to the original tracks.
The weird thing is that they don´t sound completly the same!

Hi,

Could you please attach a screenshot of the Export Audio Mixdown window?

This is quite possible if you are using instruments or effects that behave differently when in mixdown mode rather than live playback mode. Kontakt is one - by default the interpolation algorithm settings (i.e. how Kontakt creates missing samples from neighbouring ones) are set differently for the two modes. Likewise, Soothe2 has potentially different settings for the two modes.

Hi,

Also if you have any compressor/dynamic plug-in on a Group or Send… If you send multiple tracks to the compressor, they will affect each other. If you send only one track, it’s not affected by the other channels.

Yes, that’s very likely to be true in this case, Martin

That´s probably what is causing the difference and maybe also Richards explanation. So there is no way that i can get the exact same sounding tracks with e.g. a compressor or so on a group or send and plugins that behave differently when exporting Multitracks?

That makes sense, thanks!

Hi,

No, it doesn’t make sense to get this kind of output. If you would mix these audio files later on, you would get differently sounding audio file.

Moreover it’s technically impossible. You cannot take the signal in account for the Sends/Output Inserts (to affect the compressor), but at the same time to don’t take them in account (to don’t hear them).

Thanks Martin :slight_smile:

How does one solve that? Realtime export?

Hi,

What exactly do you want to solve, please? What do you want to achieve? What is your use case?

Hi there,

I was referring to the answer here stating the following:

“This is quite possible if you are using instruments or effects that behave differently when in mixdown mode rather than live playback mode. Kontakt is one - by default the interpolation algorithm settings (i.e. how Kontakt creates missing samples from neighbouring ones) are set differently for the two modes. Likewise, Soothe2 has potentially different settings for the two modes.”

So according to the above, there is a difference of what the ear hears on playback, and how the music is exported, as per the above (unless I read it wrongly) there is a difference in quality.

I suppose, I was asking, so how do we combat this, how can we make sure that what is exported is exactly what we hear on live payback?

My sessions are nothing out of the ordinary. I am using Virtual Instruments, some have effects on them, and I have a mastering chain on the Stereo out,

Cheers!