Exported PDFs are missing header and footer

Attaching the zipped file. Same thing happened when a friend tried to export a pdf from this file on his machine. This problem just started…I was able to export the PDF properly in the past from this file. When I print to a PDF driver, it works fine.
test.zip (569 KB)

When you say “from this file”, do you really mean “from this file”, or have you cut down the project? I ask as “this file” exports as PDF correctly here - all 14 PDFs have headers and footers as specified in the project.

Might it be a page/paper size mismatch? US Letter is shorter than A4, for instance, which might results in cropping. (You should also see wider margins at the sides.)

Cropping shouldn’t be an issue for Graphics Export, though - it uses whatever page size is set in Layout Options.

It is the original file and this cut down file having the problem. It is not a page size issue. I’m on Windows 10.

Likewise, everything looks good here, too. Could you please zip up a couple of the resulting PDFs and attach them here?

I’m getting an odd font substitution issue with his file though. It opens fine without any font warning, but the first two words of the title are set to Academico Regular 30pt, and they clearly are not displaying as that on my system. I obviously have Academico installed as all the other instances of it in this file appear fine.

The last word of his title “Fun” is italicized on screen, but when exported loses the italics. When I check the resulting PDF Academico-Italic.otf is not embedded in the file.

If I export one of my own files with Academico Italic, it embeds fine so I definitely have it installed. As the OP mentioned, if I select Adobe PDF as my printer and use it to create a PDF of his file, the italics export correctly, but the font is still not Academico. I’m not sure what’s going on with this file, but there are definitely some strange font issues at play.

The file uses a 3rd party font for the title which probably none of you have. When it is present, the major issues seem to begin.

The font is cartoon east which comes as otf or ttf. I’m wondering if use of one or the other is the issue between success before and failure now?

Shouldn’t Dorico 3 give a warning that I don’t have the font installed then? Does anyone else get that warning? The footer is just Academico, correct? Or is it something else too? The footer exported fine as Academico when I tested the file, unless that’s not the correct font either.

Everything in the header and footer is Academico except the title. There doesn’t seem to be any font missing warning for the title, though that would be quite desirable. I am going to play around with the title font for a bit to troubleshoot the problem more.

  • When I change the title to Academico, native PDF export works fine
  • deinstalled all cartoon east font faces in windows, added CartoonEast.ttf font, restarted Dorico, set title to Cartoon East, header and footer missing upon PDF Export
  • deinstalled all cartoon east font faces in windows, added CartoonEast.otf font, restarted Dorico, set title to Cartoon East, header and footer missing upon PDF Export

I’m just going to use another font. However, Dorico shouldn’t be omitting the header and footer due to an individual font issue, especially one that PDF drivers seem to be able to deal with.

Not sure why this font worked for me before with Dorico but not now. Wondering if it has anything to do with 3.0 or 3.01.

Happening again with another…TTF font “space age.ttf” on Windows 10. https://www.dafont.com/space-age.font?psize=s&text=Cosmos

The problem may be that the most recent major Windows 10 update appears to have introduced a new policy for where fonts are installed. They now go into C:\Users\your-username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts instead of C:\Windows\Fonts, and this can cause the way the font name is encoded in the exported PDF to be quite long, which doesn’t cause a problem with most PDF viewers (e.g. Chrome, Edge, Preview on Mac, etc.), but which seems to cause problems in Adobe Reader and Acrobat. If you right-click the troublesome font you should be able to choose ‘Install for All Users’ from the context menu, which should move it down into C:\Windows\Fonts, and at that point the encoded font name should be short enough that it won’t cause a problem for Acrobat and Adobe Reader.

We have made a change in the underlying Qt framework to work around this issue for a future version of Dorico, at which point it will no longer be necessary to force the font to be in C:\Windows\Fonts in order to be embedded.