Exporting MIDI file - how to export the entire event? <PC>

Howdy :slight_smile:

I have two MIDI tracks. Track 1 has MIDI data that starts on beat 1, and track 2’s data starts later in time. Both events start at the beginning of the project - at beat 1.

When I export > MIDI file, and then re-import, track 2’s event does not start from the beginning; it starts from where the MIDI data starts. I would like to get both events in the exported MIDI file to start at beat 1.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Haven’t had success here on C4. Tried adding one MIDI note at the beginning of the later starting part, but it makes two seperate parts where the data is. Didn’t there used to be a Minimize Files option in earlier versions?

Hi,
Are you using the “export locator range” option? If so and that doesn’t work then what about inserting an event at beat one on the second track (with zero velocity or something) to “kick start” the export. Maybe it doesn’t start exporting until it sees events. Just a guess.
Sincerely,
J.L.
p.s. I think what you are calling data, the manual calls events (i.e. note on, etc.) and what you are calling event, the manual calls a part. If not, then I might be confused about your description.

Export locator range does nothing with this, tried it. Tried adding a note at the beginning, too. Guess you didn’t read my post.

Sorry. Your post must have come up while I was typing. :slight_smile:
Sincerely,
J.L.

Thanks for the responses.

“Export locator range does nothing with this” - correct.

“I think what you are calling data, the manual calls events (i.e. note on, etc.) and what you are calling event, the manual calls a part.”

No, actually, I am calling everything correctly.

Hmmm…this seems to not be working properly.

Hi,
Something to think about here. I tried this and all the MIDI imported back into cubase in the correct position (i.e. at the correct bar) and with all the notes/events. The MIDI part did not start until the first bar that had data in it (i.e. bar 5). Which makes me wonder… Is the MIDI part (i.e. the “box” or “container” for the MIDI notes on the track) part of a MIDI convention or just a Cubase thing? If it is just a Cubase thing and not MIDI convention, then when exporting MIDI, Cubase would not want to include information about the MIDI part in order to make it compatible with MIDI standards. When Cubase imports a MIDI file, it just draws a container around the notes that are there and if there are any full bars with no data, it doesn’t draw a part there.
Just my guess at it.

Bottom line though, for me anyway, everything between the locators did, in fact, make it into the MIDI file and imported to the correct position.

Sincerely,
J.L.

There used to be an option as to whether Cubase minimized parts on import or not. This changed in C4, IIRC.

Same here, but that’s not the issue.

Here, let me make this simple. Start with this:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/MIDIfileexport1.jpg

Then export to .mid:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/MIDIfileexport2.jpg

And then import the .mid file back in C5, and wind up with this:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/MIDIfileexport3.jpg

The event that comprises the imported .mid file should should start from bar 1, no? Isn’t that what Export locator range is supposed to mean? Because the way it works, the locator range does not get exported.

I think Export Locator Range is for if you want to export a portion of a MIDI part like bars 7-10 of a 20 bar part, MIDI data being in all bars.

Hi,
Nice pictures. Helps with understanding what you are describing.
The MIDI part (the grey box that encompasses the MIDI events) has nothing to do with the .mid file.
The MIDI part is just a container that Cubase creates to allow the user to group multiple events (the notes, pitchbend, mod, CC, etc.) for easier editing like copying, muting, stretching, etc. If you select the MIDI part, you can expand it to the beginning of bar 1 by grabbing on the lower left corner and click dragging. You can also cut the single MIDI part up into smaller pieces with the scissor tool. Information about the MIDI part does not get written to the .mid file. When cubase imports the MIDI file onto the track, it draws a part around the MIDI events. If there are areas without MIDI events in the middle (don’t know how Cubase decides this but it seems to happen at about 4 consecutive bars with no events) then it creates multiple, separate MIDI parts (with a gap between the parts).
HTH,
J.L.

Yes, I know what MIDI parts do, and how they operate. I know that you can expand a MIDI event to the beginning of bar 1 by grabbing on the lower left corner and click dragging. I know close the application using the mouse, too!

The MIDI part (the grey box that encompasses the MIDI events) has nothing to do with the .mid file.

I know it doesn’t. Never said it did. But the locators do. That’s what we are talking about here.

If there are areas without MIDI events in the middle, then it creates multiple, separate MIDI parts (with a gap between the parts).

Yes - but this to me is wrong, if you have Export Locator Range checked. Because the way it works now, it is not the locator range that gets exported.

It works properly in my opinion. There is nothing missing between the locators. Everything between the locators was exported to the file. Also, everything imports back into the project properly, EXCEPT the MIDI part is different (because there are no events in the first few bars) but you have already acknowledged that the MIDI part has nothing to do with the file. So, I don’t understand what is wrong with the process.
Sincerely,
J.L.

Hi Jeff,
I thought of something else. Have you considered selecting the MIDI part and using the Export midiloop function? With this function, you can drop the midiloop from Media Bay into your projects anywhere you choose.
I just thought it might be more along the lines of what you are trying to achieve.
HTH.
J.L.

No, that is not correct. Have a look at this:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/MIDIfileexport4.jpg

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/MIDIfileexport5.jpg

Everything between the locators was NOT exported to the file. THIS is what is wrong to me.

but you have already acknowledged that the MIDI part has nothing to do with the file.

Nope - never said that. The MIDI part has EVERYTHING to do with the file.

Have you considered selecting the MIDI part and using the Export midiloop function? With this function, you can drop the midiloop from Media Bay into your projects anywhere you choose.

[/quote]

That’s a good suggestion, thanks, but this is really about sending the .mid files to someone else, who may or may not have Cubase.

Cheers.