Exporting OMF to Avid with Group Channels Applied

Hi!

I am hoping there is someone here who can reassure/guide me. I have a housemate who is currently applying noise reduction effects in Cubase 7 to the dialogue of a short film I wrote and directed.

Whilst I have been reassured everything will be FINE, I am not 100% sure that he will be able to preserve the individual tracks after it is then exported so I can bring it back into Avid. I have explained what I need, but the guy knows sound, but not industry standard sound mixing requirements (at least for the Pro Tools system I will be using for the film).

The effects are being applied in a group channel (or three?) and I just wanted to confirm that this is correct: Upon finishing the effect editing, exporting an OMF will apply the effects destructively to a copy of the .WAV files that are compiled. I will then be able to re-import the project into Avid, maintaining my original tracklay, with the effects permanently added to that copy of the .WAVs?

It’s important I don’t end up with one dialogue track mixed down, as I still require significant tracklaying editing to be done in Avid, and to be able to mix the film in Pro Tools.

It would be MUCH easier if everyone just used the same software, but I’ll make it work.

I hope this isn’t too much of a dumb question, I haven’t used much in the way of post production sound software before, just Avid! :blush:

I’ve no experience with OMF, but my advice would be to test how import would work with a small project or a short series of edited audio clips before you get fully underway with the whole de-noising situation. That way you can iron out any transfer problems before they get too big.

A method that I’ve used successfully in the past is to copy and process the original film’s audio file then replace that original problem file with the corrected file, renamed to be the name of the original. Then when you open the Avid project the new file is loaded and the application knows no difference but you do.

Another feature that I’ve used a few times in Premiere Pro is to create a sequence which contains the whole of the original footage and then insert this sequence into another sequence and edit that. In this way if I need to apply processing to the original footage, or in your case replace the audio, then I can do it in the first sequence and all my editing is retained correctly in the ‘child’ sequence. Very useful for me when I’m editing live gigs and replacing audio. Perhaps Avid has something like that you can use?

Mike.