Expression Maps for Berlin Woodwinds Additional Instruments - SINE version

I recently installed the SINE version of Berlin Woodwinds Additional Instruments and created expression maps for the four instruments featured. I attach them here in case any forum member is interested. No doubt others have preferred settings but it may save some time. Next I’m creating expression maps for BWW Soloist 1 and 2 (SINE) which I’ve just added.

Berlin Woodwinds Additional Instruments SINE.zip (6.3 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! It will be great to use these in my template. And I hope to be able to figure out what you’re doing to create these to be able to make my own. If you ever have the inclination to video capture the process, I’d love to look over your shoulders.

1 Like

The Dorico team have produced some excellent tutorials on this subject. A good place to start is to import an existing expression map and study its makeup. I’m not confident of producing my own video but I could use LICEcap sometime to capture the steps I use in Reaper. This produces an animated gif file that anyone on a Windows pc can play.

I’ve prepared an animated gif but it exceeds the 4Mb allowed here. If you let me have your email I will send it to you. This takes you as far as starting up. You can literally create an expression map with a single articulation to begin with. Likewise the related endpoint configuration doesn’t need to be the finished item. Then you can go back and add/adjust what you entered previously and overwrite the original. The challenge for me is which basic playing technique I associate an articulation with. Developers often use quite complex/fancy names for articulations but you need to associate them with what will appear on the final score as far as possible (although Dorico does allow you to add new ones assuming the musicians can understand what they mean). The other challenge is to use the note conditions to separate things like natural (sustains) into regular longs, staccato or staccatissimo (assuming those are available for the instrument in question). It’s not rocket science so I’m sure with practice you will soon become an expert.

One thing I should mention is that if the articulations within a library for each instrument are the same you need only create one expression map. I choose to do a separate one for every instrument but you don’t have to.

Wow, thank you so much. I really appreciate you’re doing this. My e-mail is:
synergy543 “at” gmail.com

I’ve just been using the playback templates which have been posted on this forum so far but it really seems essential to learn this process to get up to the next level with Dorico and VSTs.
Much appreciated,

Gregory D. Moore

Understood. I’m emailing that animated gif to you in moment. I was working on the Berlin Woodwind Soloists when you posted your reply so the gif shows me adding one of the instruments. Double click on it and it should play just like a video.

Hi Andy.
I would appreciate it if you could also send this file to me.

Many thanks.

@Nigel2

Welcome to the forum. Posting your email is an invitation to spammers to harvest your address. Most folks here use a shorthand to escape notice by bots.

I suggest you use the pencil icon to edit your email address to something like

pascal at mm dot st

I’ve sent you an email. I suggest you do as Derrek suggests and amend the email address you quoted to avoid spammers.

As a new user, @Nigel2 may not have the Discourse Trust Level to edit his posts yet, so someone like @dspreadbury may have to do it for him.

1 Like

Hello @andhy,
I would like to ask you, if you by any chance have Expression Maps sets and Playback Templates for the entire Berlin Woodwinds Collection (the Main library, the Soloists, the SFX)?
If you have them, we’ll be very thankful if you share them with all of us. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

I do have. Not sure how good they are but it might save you a little time. I’ve been so busy with other projects I really haven’t spent a lot of time on Dorico. The third zip file has an odd name but it is Soloists 1 and 2.

BWW SINE.zip (19.9 KB)
BWW SFX.zip (41.0 KB)
BWWS2 Solo Bass Oboe.zip (14.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi @andhy,
Thank you very much for sharing them! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

You’re very welcome. I hope they save you some time.

Best wishes
andyhy

1 Like

Thank-you for these, @andhy!

I’m relatively new to expression maps, and have a related question: how do you enter and notate sample library articulations, dynamics, and/or durations that are not covered by the usual notation marks? For example, I’m thinking of your expression map for the BWWS1 Solo Bassoon, which contains a switch for “pt.user.natural_swell, Note Length >=medium” – how would you notate and trigger that sample in your score?

Thanks again! :grinning:

The swell dynamic is included in the family of Dorico standard notations but when this doesn’t provide the pattern or timing of swell you’re seeking some users turn to supplements like splitting notes to trigger the result they want. So I think the answer is to experiment. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Thanks, andhy!

Does “splitting notes” mean something like somehow changing the sample (via keyswitch or cc) in the middle of a note’s duration?

Inevitably – but I wish there were more detailed resources on such aspects.