Extend audio events over its boundaries

Right now when importing or recording an audio file with a certain length, you cannot extend it over this certain length. This is a big limitation when having to edit single and especially multiple events at the same time. Example: if you have selected multiple events, want to extend them all to the right but one of the items is shorter than the rest and reached its end, then you cannot move further to the right.
Please add an option to extend events freely to the left or to the right like it is with midi events.

The following should go hand in hand with this feature request too:
Taken from the Cubase manual: “You cannot slide an audio event past the start or end of the actual audio clip. If the event plays the whole clip, you cannot slide the audio at all.”
If events aren’t limited to their start/ends anymore you should also be able to slide their contents.

HOW IT IS NOW:

HOW IT SHOULD BE:

PS: I know there is a workaround with range selecting+bounce, but thats far from fast and intuitive.

1 Like

If the file respresenting the event isn’t longer then there’s no chance to directly make it longer. You can make a part out of it though which is freely resizeable.

Thats why I made a FR. In other DAWs this is possible and does not limit you when editing events.
Plus: Why shouldn’t it work for audio events if it works for midi events?

Of course, you’re right. If the underlaying file ends it shouldn’t be a problem to fill up with silence when the user wants to extend it. However, if the file is shorter than I want my event I make it a part as long as desired and bounce it. That’s at least a valid and easy workaround. I agree it’s a workaround - if there are offline processes, VariAudio etc. happening I do not always want to bounce, so it’s a good request!

2 Likes

Is this the case in ProTools?

I could see this being a thing in more, errr, music only focused programs.

But having tangible quick knowledge of how long an event actually is, and not having it budge past its actual file size is important in many editing situations - for instance if you are working on game audio assets, drum samples, and also how things are consolidated - ie, will the file lengths ACTUALLY line up if you were to just drag them into another session or if you send them to someone as files.

Now, if you’re dealing with hundreds if not thousands of tracks in a film score - that could get very annoying very quickly and then also remember, in all sorts of situations, these extended lengths will just appear as blocks on folder tracks and overview, which could potentially be misleading.

I would use the "Parts’ system, or just take the range tool and bounce, and or, you can take the pencil tool and draw in an event and then group it to them audio event.

When editing it should be fast and easy. If you have to select to change files to parts or range select them and bounce them just to make them longer, thats far from fast and intuitive imho… Then as you said it also forces me to render my offline/variaudio processes.

In Reaper: if you extend an events end or start, there are little marks at the bottom of the file which indicate the original start/end, so you always know where you startet extending it.
If you send the files to someone else you will always have to export them and there it depends on how long your cycle marker/locators are, so the orginial file length does not really matter anyway.

You can see the marks here:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. There is no change to the original file (as far as I know the original file will never be touched anyway in Cubase), also there is no new file created. There is only added silence for easier editing in the project you are working with the file.

This should imply also that event content sliding works on full length events.
Taken from the Cubase manual: “You cannot slide an audio event past the start or end of the actual audio clip. If the event plays the whole clip, you cannot slide the audio at all.”
This (should) go hand in hand with this feature request.

Thats what little marks which show you the original end/starts are for. Also, if you dont need silence, you cut it away. There is no reason to have 10 second silence at the beginnin or the end of the file. As said before its just for easier editing.

Okay, lemme explain. Someone sends me e.g.10 Vocal performances which should be layered over each other. I want to align them all, so they should have the same start and end. But now some of them are shorter at the beginning and some of them are shorter at the end. Instead of easily extend their ends and starts and cut the unneeded silence and go on with editing from there by siliding their content or stretching them, I have to manually adjust each one of them first. Because Cubase blocks the movement of all selected events if one of them reached its end/start.
Now imagine having to do that multiple times a project.

Another example is: When moving/copying multiple layered events with different starts/lenghts to a new position in the project, you will want them to be aligned first. But if just one of these events is shorter than the rest you have the same problem.

2 Likes

I suppose if it’s a preference option it would be fine. I still feel I rely on knowing where and when I’m reaching a dead-end on an events size in relation to others without having to visually identify that is important to me.

It’s especially important now with ARA. I’m retiming audio using Melodyne 5 with ARA. I need to extend the edge of an audio event, but can’t, and if I bounce the audio then the melodyne work is no longer editable. There is no reason especially when the event is being edited in such a way that the event shouldn’t be able to be extended. Even if this is only temporary until the audio clip is re-evaluated and rendered. At that point the actual audio clip’s length can be altered.

Before you added the ARA Extension you could have ‘extended’ the Audio by using the Pencil Tool to draw in a blank Audio Event to fill the gap. Then ARA should get applied to the entire length.

I don’t know what would happen if you added the blank Audio now. But if I wanted to find out I’d use File>Backup Project to create a test Project that is safe to experiment with.

1 Like

Yes I could have done that, and I would have had I known of the issue. At least I would try to plan ahead for something like that. Still it would be good to be able to extend he clip for those just in case instances.

I do know what happens if you add the blank audio it basically bounces in place and removes the Melodyne extension. so now if you want to go back and edit it you have lost the history. Which is a big deal with Melodyne since it saves separate history for separate functions rather than all the functions as a whole.

What if you took your “in progress” Melodyne Track and then used Render In Place to lock in all the edits. You could extend the Audio on the new Track and pull that all into Melodyne to continue editing from there. As long as you keep the original Melodyne Track after rendering you can still go back and work on those edits if needed. Also you can Render just a section at a time as needed. Not a great approach, but maybe the least bad?

I do second your request but in this particular issue there is a function called relative grid (in the snap options) that actually lets you move a bunch of events/parts by the grid setting regardless of their start or end. I also like to tidy up things so every event starts at the same point but sometimes it can be handy to know about the relative grid function. Especially in the other editors, too.

What if you took your “in progress” Melodyne Track and then used Render In Place to lock in all the edits. You could extend the Audio on the new Track and pull that all into Melodyne to continue editing from there. As long as you keep the original Melodyne Track after rendering you can still go back and work on those edits if needed. Also you can Render just a section at a time as needed. Not a great approach, but maybe the least bad?

I think I see what your saying. Use the render function rather than the bounce function. I mean that could work but it’s not a great solution. because then essentially you have several tracks with edits from different stages. I just think they should add this functionality. It seems really weird to me that it’s not already incorporated.

Sounds like this may have been resolved in Cubase 12 where they’ve changed ARA to support Audio Tracks and not Audio Events.

1 Like

But outside of ARA the Problem still persists.