"Extended FX Chains" as seen in Studio One

Cubase needs an flexible environment for building complex FX chains, like it is possible in Studio One:

"Extended FX Chains

Broaden your sonic palette and discover new life in your old plug-in collection with Extended FX Chains, a fast and powerful tool for sound design. Using the Splitter Tool, route multiple simultaneous audio effects in myriad ways: serial, parallel, or split by channel or frequency band. Instantly transform any effect to multiband and combine different effects in new ways to explore uncharted sonic territory. Just one Splitter lets you split the audio path of a single channel up to five times. If that’s not enough, just add more Splitters!"

2 Likes

+1

+1 or Ableton racks and macros…
We definitely missing the ability to control multiple synths with one midi, plus creative routing, splitting etc along with macro controls…
And ability to save the whole thing as one file…
Kinda slow and tedious building and controlling lead synth stacks ATM…

1 Like

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

Just done a few tracks in Ableton and, while there are many things I miss, Group Effects is an absolutely killer feature. Similar to extended fx chains in Studio One in that it allows you to set up very quickly all kinds of serial and parallel chains. Mostly things that are possible in Cubase using duplicates or group and fx channels, but with much easier workflow.

A few examples:

• splitting things into different frequency bands and applying different processing to each
  • loudness matching using things like TBPro Audio ABLM (where you put one instance before and one after the plug-in(s) of interest, and it’s very nice to have a one-click bypass for the chain)
  • even simple things like compress and add some slapback, reverb, chorus, but maybe you want to experiment with the order of these things or serial/parallel.

So if this is possible in S1, why not Cubase? Any prospects of this arriving soon? Would be nice for stability to have it built in.

Or maybe better to look at 3rd party alternatives like Bluecat Patchwork or DDMF Metaplugin. Anyone have experience with these in Cubase 12 (M1 Mac here) to share?

+1 i’d love to see that feature too

And also some Midi Macro control features :blush:

+1

I’d love to have this feature in Cubase!

:rofl: :joy: :weary: :laughing: :face_in_clouds: :sweat_smile: :alien:
You better time travel back in time cause the Cubase that I know is still in 2017 Beta.

I use StudioRack by Waves extensively. Works great and is free.

2 Likes

Thanks, will check that out!

Have seen reports that some are a bit crash-prone, so good to know the Waves one is working for you.

Now also in Reaper 7 apparently (have not tried it):

’FX Containers and Parallel Routing:Build, store, and recall self-contained FX chains, including complex routing and configurable parameter mapping. Route multiple plug-ins (including FX containers) in parallel.’

1 Like