External Drive Reading Issue Cubase 11

Hi,
I have a serious problem working on projects when reading them from an external drive. First I thought it was the formatting, I thought it was because the EXFAT, then I formatted the drive in HTFS. The audio continued dropping, the project still freezing, waiting some minutes, losing changes and so on. It is happening on 2 different external drives, one exFAT one HTFS. But when it’s on the internal drive, it never happens. I gotta say, copying the project from the external drive to the internal one, also causes some annoying lags… but apart from that both drives are really new. I am using the latest version of Cubase 11, Windows 11, but I got this problem for the past 9 months, so I got these with Windows 10 too. Right now, my suspect is the antivirus, Norton… This is the latest crash dump file. Can someone read it for me, and hopefully find my issue…? Thanks in advance.
Cubase 11.0.41.448 64bit 2022.5.25 4.34.50.816.dmp (779.6 KB)

I am no expert, but the .dmp file suggest, as far as I can tell, a bug within Cubase.
(@steve is good at deciphering .dmp files. Perhaps they can verify.)

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: NULL_POINTER_WRITE_c0000005_Cubase11.exe!Unknown

From personal experience, anti virus software does not play well with DAW and Norton in particular is quite finicky. I haven’t used an anti virus software, other than Defender that comes with Windows, in over 10 years on any of my computers.

1 Like

I’m only as good as the crash… occasionally there will be something mentioned in there, like a component or plugin. This one doesn’t give such specific details, it’s just a crash in Cubase.

I ignore everything in the crash analysis above CONTEXT, and below that is where the crashing component (if there is one) will be listed.

I’m no pro on this, I just installed WinDbg Preview and double-clicked on a dump file.

1 Like

At the same time, when the project is moved onto the internal HDD there is no issue. The copying itself for 10 GB took ages…