External Drives and Programs/Content

I have most of my Steinberg content on an external drive and it shows up just fine.

But I had some programs on there, like BackBone and Groove Agent that wouldn’t show up when doing a scan. They only showed up when I put them on the C drive.
Is that notmal?

The programs themselves always want to be on the C: drive. The content related to them can be located elsewhere. The actual programs are small & shouldn’t cause issues.

I kind of figured that.
I got a new computer and was trying to keep the smallish C drive clean in case I ever screwed something up and had to reload the OS.
Not a big problem nowadays though if I ever have to reload programs.

Windows?

You can use the mklink command to create OS file system junctions to ‘point’ to other directories on other partitions/drives. Mac can do something similar using ‘ln’.

Example:
mklink /j “C:\Path\to\create\link” “D:\Path\of\directory”

So, when software calls for “C:\Path\to\create\link”, the OS leads the software in a manner that is transparent to apps. The OS delivers the files that are actually stored in “D:\Path\of\directory”.

There are a few different kinds of links. Steinberg stuff seems to be happy with them all (/d style symbolic links [can even be special networking links], or /j style junctions). I’ve run into some other music software that doesn’t do so well with the /d type symbolic or direct network links, but do fine with the /j type of directory junctions [Some of the older AKAI MPC software didn’t like /d links for me, but worked fine with /j links].

You can even copy/move things to a new partition, and then make a link pointing to the new location. Software thinks it’s still living on drive C.

Here’s a more detailed post on the topic:

But there is no need to do this anymore since the Library Manager can relocate content directly. Prior to the introduction of the Library Manager Cubase did expect the content to be on the C: drive and using links in this manner was the way to get around that limitation. But it’s kind of obsolete now.

Maybe, but it takes 3 command lines as opposed to 20 minutes of fiddly stuff, and it can be ‘changed and rearranged’ easily with a few key taps (not having to reinstall anything, or move wads of shortcuts around). Can even have auto run batch scripts on removable media. I.E. Plug in the external drive, and it changes the paths. Remove it and go back to a ‘lighter’ configuration.

Yep - the Library Manager is pretty slick. The only thing that threw me off were a couple of programs. No problems with the content at all.