external gear with 7.2 not working the way it should

Anyone else?
PG? any idea when this is going to be implemented?

PG? any idea when this is going to be implemented?

Next big version (8.0)

:cry:
I’m more then disapointed now… i will always have a buggy version of wl7 now because i can’t upgrade to higher then 7.10 because of the problems i have as described into detail above. To me it really feels like i threw away quite a lot of money on a product that doesn’t work like advertised.

Aren’t you blocking on one point, for which you have a work around, as mentionned earlier in this thread?

Just to give you an idea:

a track, 7 minutes long, all settings done > time to render.
7 minutes bouncing the way i work with re-recording/hearing what is going on.
Glitch (which can always happen, we are working with computers here) after let’s say 3 minutes, heard in real-time.
Press stop > delete file > re-record. All done in 10 minutes.

same 7 minute track rendering without hearing what is going on.
Glitch after 3 minutes > rendering done after 7 minutes (you don’t know that the glitch is there) > listen again from start to see if there are any glitches > find out there is a glitch after 3 minutes > stop, delete file> re-render again. (10 minutes lost already)
Re-render > 7 minutes rendering and then listening from the start again = 7 minutes makes a total of 14 minutes + the 10 minutes from before. All done in 24 minutes!

If this was an un-attended session it will cost me a LOT of time in total = money while with attending customers it’s even worse because who is going to pay for the extra time? the customer or do i have to pay for it myself and how professional do you think this will look?

Sorry to be such a PITA but this option was already asked for when wavelab 6 just came out! The work around with recording is fine with me but THIS DOESN’T WORK since the last updates!

For the workaround, I was refering to the use of the Silence plugin, to insert silence at head and tail.

To check glitches, you can use the Audio Error Detection tool, to considerably speed up detection.

I know exactly how to do these kinds of things but before the updates i didn’t have to and now i have to do even more for a workaround and i don’t trust tools, i trust my ears. I wan’t to listen what is going on.
When i was doing the tests with 7.1.1 (which you mailed me back then as you might remember) i already came up with this problem inlcuding examples so it’s not new at all…
The audition function would be great but there where quite a lot of people asking for this when v6 just came out!
We are working with audio here and audio needs to be heard, not seen or examined by some tool.

You could try to listen to the audio being rendered, with an external player.
eg. start to render “C:\temp\piano.wav”
Then open VLC and start playing C:\temp\piano.wav.

You will save the time you are looking for.

What about the ‘insert silence’ workaround? You still work the above way, but all you do is insert silence at the start of the file, say, 200ms. Afterwards, you remove this, so that may add a total of… 12 seconds? All done in 10.2 minutes then. Doesn’t sound like such a big deal to me…

Luck, Arjan

I partly agree… but i still feel this a workaround for something that DID work before the updates! And as you might have read, i already told PG that this happens since the beta/(non public) 7.1.1 update by mail it’s not that this is something completely new. I mailed examples and explained into detail what was going on 15-6-2011 9:49 in the morning. I also asked again by mail about the playback listening option on the same date later that day.

Sure i can add silence in frond and sometimes at the end but i paid for something that works and it DID work untill recent updates… :neutral_face:

Don’t forget this: the version that worked for you, had an important flaw that could often cause glitches with the External Gear plugin. The new version is far more reliable in this regard.

please READ my posts! i KNOW that the external gear should now be stable with the later versions but it introduces all the other problems that just seems to be ignored… quite unprofessional if you ask me…

What about this?

You could try to listen to the audio being rendered, with an external player.
eg. start to render “C:\temp\piano.wav”
Then open VLC and start playing C:\temp\piano.wav.

No… not even thinking about it!
Come on… wavelab is supposed to be a professional piece of software for playing, recording and editting audio and it simply does not what it supposed to do.

I’m more then disapointed in wavelab7 and the way steinberg is dealing with customers that use their software for a living. :cry:

PG:
just wondering, have you even tried it out yourself? yes or no
If you tried it out yourself, could you confirm the problem? yes or no?

just wondering, have you even tried it out yourself? yes or no
If you tried it out yourself, could you confirm the problem? yes or no?

There are 2 sides to your story. There is the External Gear plugin, and the idea to render through the Record dialog.
From my tests, there is no problem with the External Gear plugin, when using the Render dialog, which is the way it was originally meant to work with (and tested with).
This morning I made a test to mimic your way of working (if I don’t mistaken):

• I insert a plugin in the Master Section, then the External Gear plugin, then another plugin.
  • Then I press record.
  • Then I press play.
  • At the end, I stop record. The resulting file pops up.
    Then I can see the very end of the stream is missing. I guess this is the problem you mean. In this case, adding some extra silence at the end of the source file, to extend the stream a bit, solves the problem. I don’t consider this has a major bug.

It’s only in this thread, and not in your past threads, that I have understood (?) your way of working with both the External Gear, and the Record dialog. This is this combination that creates the problem you mention.
Recording “what is playback” has been originally created as a way to record plugin real time changes. There is no built-in sync with the playback stream bounds. This has never been advertised. I have tested with WaveLab 6.1, and it’s the same result.

I do understand that you like to work the way you do, and I agree to support it the future. In the mean time, AFAIK, you have workarounds.

I finally gave 7.2.1 a try today and external gear is also not working the way it should when doing regular rendering.
The beginning and end of the file are also messed up like i described before. So it’s not just an issue with re-recording but also rendering is not working

Do what you want with it, i’ll stick to 7.10 because there it’s working.

Since my last message, I had a closer look. The point is that when using the External gear plugin without rendering, there is no delay compensation when stopping, by internal design. The consequence is what you report, missing audio when playing/recording (not rendering). In 7.1, this was the same, but the latency was very small, hence there is almost nothing cut out. But 7.1, precisely because of this minimal latency, was subject to audio gaps. Wavelab 7.2 is not. But all design and tests were done with rendering, not with “recording what is played back”. This is why this issue was not caught.

Well… if you read my post again then you will understand that the problem is not just there when recording but also with rendering, the way you want us to work…

Good morning;

I place a full five seconds of silence at the start of each file when using external gear plugin.
This has been the case since Wavelab 6 for me.
I use a mixture of hardware and software (as do many) for my first pass, and this is the only way I can achieve the correct result on a consistent basis.
Fore sure, I would be pleased as punch if this step was not necessary - or if a batch file to ‘automatically’ add silence to the start and end of the file, and then trim it off after processing were available.