Extracting files from a Wavelab FLAC? [SOLVED]

Hi, I’ve just completed a Montage > FLAC in WL8.5.20. I’ve set all metadata and render “Whole Montage” (as it’s the only setting that will allow for cue-sheet) to FLAC HQ and tick the “Create CD image and cue sheet”. Metadata in FLAC settings is set to “Inherit from sourcefile”. The FLAC + CUE sheet is rendered fine and I can import it back into WL. However, I can’t split the FLAC out to other files, like mp3s, with dBPowerAmp as I can with other FLAC’s. What am I doing wrong here? Thnx in advance!

In Foobar the cue sheet needs to be embedded in the flac file, which Foobar can do from the Wavelab flac and cue, and then split out tracks from there. But even that embedded flac file doesn’t seem splittable when opened in dbpoweramp, so I don’t know. Maybe ask at dbpoweramp forum.
Not sure why you want a cue image though, because if you have 8.5.20 you can use the multi-format renders, and get individual files in every format there. I’m also not sure what you’re going to get in the form of metadata if you use “inherit” to a flac cue image. Might have to pull up some other metadata presets.

bob99! Thanks for a quick reply. My idea here is that my customers (w/o Wavelab) should be able to extract mp3 from the FLAC themselves for a special project. I do use Watch Folders for multi out myself, but this has to be done offsite.

You say you have other FLAC files that you can split out in dbpoweramp. Did you make them, or someone else? Are they just the FLAC file (which would imply embedded cue sheet), or FLAC file and CUE file? If FLAC and CUE, are you opening the CUE or FLAC or both in dbpoweramp? And when you do, does it display individual tracks from the FLAC file in the program?

fwiw, if dbpoweramp does support separate cue sheet, the problem might just be the audio file path in the .cue file, which you should remove anyway if you’re going to send to someone else. Open the .cue file in Notepad and remove the path, leaving ONLY the audio file name between the quotes. Then the cue file should be in the same folder as the flac file when operating.
Also since it’s a CD Image, any “metadata” in the .cue file is going to be derived from the CD Text in Wavelab, so fill in all your CD Text in Wavelab.

Hi, again an thnx for the time/info! Yes, the other FLACs I have that come with a .cue-sheet can be ripped to separate files, the one I make from WL cant. All track data is coming from CD-text and I can open the cue and there it is just fine. I tried changing / removing the URL and all other cue data but still it only rips to one mp3 file (or what I chose in dbPoweramp) from the WL FLAC.

Tried Medieval CUE Splitter too. That freeware would separate out the files in the GUI, but only splitting to ONE file as well. Tried with and w/o the URL in the cue file but with no success.

[SOLVED] The splitting wrks only in 44/16 in WL and not in the format I had initially chosen which was 48/24. If so its goodbye trying to rip HQ vinyl from WL unfortunately… The 48/24 FLAC plays in VLC and decompresses fine in WL, it just won’t work in any cue splitter.

The final Wavelab hi-res image WILL work with many programs that have built-in cue splitter supporting higher than 44.1. It’s not a Wavelab limitation or problem, it’s a limitation in some stand-alone cue-splitters. I had found the 16 /44.1 limitation you were finding in CueTools as well. But Wavelab can and does make a hi-res image file (>44.1 >16) that is fine in programs that can support hi-res.

For hi-res, you just need to use different programs on the receiving end that have built in splitters with hi-res capability. It will work hi-res in Foobar on Windows, and XLD on Mac (both are free), and JRiver on both Win and Mac (paid).

In looking at all of this, It turns out you can make Hi-Res single file images (wav/cue or flac/cue), any sample rate and bit depth (like 24/96 or 32f/96 (32f only in WAV, FLAC can’t do 32f)) in Wavelab, with all metadata in the CUE from the Wavelab CD Text, and including ISRC and UPC from the montage. Make sure to fill in the CD Text in the Wavelab CD tab.

And make sure to select “dont write file path” in montage preferences. It won’t work correctly if there’s a path in the CUE file, even if it’s a valid path.

Just open the CUE file you make in Wavelab in any of these programs (Foobar, XLD, JRiver) (which are all file conversion programs, and you can split / convert to mp3, aac, aif, flac, wav / etc. etc. Hi-Res with all Wavelab metadata.

So just use Foobar, XLD, or JRiver (or probably some others).

And I think Wavelab is probably one of the only, and best solutions to create this Hi-Res Image format.

(You just can’t “import” it back to Wavelab, although you can easily open the usable “image” file), but with the hi-res flac/cue or wav/cue it’s perfectly usable and the best solution in these other programs.

If you select “open after render” or “open in new audio montage” while doing the image render, Wavelab will tell you at the end that a CD can only be 44.1 or 16 bit or something like that, and won’t open the image. But that can be ignored. Just de-select “open audio file after render” or “open in montage after render” in the render dialog.

The hi-res images also seem to work in MediaHuman Audio Converter (free on Win and Mac), but I’m still testing that. But open the wav or flac file in MediaHuman (rather than the CUE file as in the other programs), and MediaHuman should find the CUE.

If you ‘must’ have the CUE embedded in the hi-res FLAC file, Foobar can do that from the Wavelab hi-res FLAC/CUE. Possibly the other programs can too. Haven’t gotten that far. How compatible that embedded hi-res flac will be with other programs, I’m still not sure. Still testing.
(although from what I can tell embedded CUE is not required by any of these programs. I guess it just makes it ‘neater’ ).

bob99! Thank you for looking into this! I was gone for a couple of days as I had some static related problems that killed my DAW. I saw you PM and I just downloaded Foobar to see if this could possible resolve this “problem”. Thank you so much for chasing this up for me, much appreciated!

No problem. Most important to remember is to select “CD cue sheets - write audio file names without path” in the Wavelab montage preferences before making the image in Wavelab. It won’t work correctly if there’s a path in the CUE file, even if it’s a valid path. It will ‘appear’ to split in Foobar (and at least one other program, can’t remember which) if there’s a path in the CUE file, but it will not operate correctly. The CUE file must contain NO path. And the Wavelab montage preference to do that should be persistent after you set it to not write path. After that just keep the flac and cue or wav and cue in the same folder when using them on the receiving end. That’s pretty much standard procedure I think.
You might also try MediaHuman Audio Converter. It seems pretty simple (and cross-platform), although I haven’t had time to check it out completely. (in MediaHuman drag the flac, not the cue).